Question about nail clipping

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I adopted my last piggy when he was already an adult, so I don't know the answer to this question.

I now have two boars. Both of them are about 2 and a half months old. Their toenails are like little needles. I want to get them accustomed to me handling their feet so that I can make toenail clipping go smoothly, but I have no idea when it's safe to start actually cutting them.

Can anyone answer to that?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html

This is a general care thread (vs. a medical thread) so I'll move it to Cavy Chat.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Nails generally need trimmed every three weeks or so. The pigs will wiggle and squeal like they are being murdered at first. Especially if they are under a year old and especially if they have never had it done before. You might want someone else to hold while you clip at first. As they continue to mature and you continue to trim on a regular basis, they may start getting used to it but they will never like it.

If they have clear nails you will be able to see the quick in the nail. Try to avoid cutting this if you can. It's easier to see if you have some sort of light under the nail. At some point you will accidently cut the quick. No one likes to do this but it will probably happen at some point. Stay calm and don't panic. There will be some bleeding. You can hold a clean cloth or paper towel on the nail until it stops bleeding or use some powder available at animal supply stores just for that purpose. The pig will forget about it very quickly and will not hold a grudge.

If it really scares you to trim them, you can have a vet do it the first few times and you can watch how it's done. But you will have to pay for this service.

JX4

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:30 pm

My pigs are almost 3 years old and I've had several of them since birth. The STILL hate having their nails clipped. I have someone else hold them while I clip. Several have black nails and it's a guessing game as to where the quick is. I don't usually get the quick, but I have a few times. I hate it when that happens, but it won't kill them and you don't need to panic. Just hold a towel like WICharlie says. The pigs will hate nail trimming even if you never hit the quick. I always have special treats waiting for them after the clipping session, treats they don't get any other time (dried papaya bits). They LOVE those treats, but they have to endure the nail clipping first.

I have noticed that if you bathe your pigs, nail clipping is way easier right after a bath. But you shouldn't bathe them as often as they need nail trimming.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 pm

For me I have my mom or brother hold them and sort of cover their head as s/he talks to them. Especially with my more nervous one (who shakes any time she even SEES nail clippers) it lets me get at least one foot done. I remember which ones have been done (I have a system) and spread it out throughout the day if the pigs are impatient.
One of mine has dark nails, and I just routinely (around every 2-3 weeks) cut off a tiny bit, rather than playing the "Where's the quick?" guessing game. She's pretty calm about it, so I can do it in ten minutes or less, and she knows it means she gets apple (aka piggy anxiety relief, at least for my piggies).