Less Veggies

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:57 am

So I origanally was feeding my guinea pigs 1 cup of veggies per pig, as I was always informed to do. They were always sleeping and never really seemed super happy as they got older. They acted sluggish all the time, didn't eat much hay, stopped eating pellets and ate little hay. I limited them to 1 cup for both of them(1/2 cup per pig) and now they popcorn and squeak when I eneter the room, They drink lots of water, eat all their pellets, and eat tons of hay. They seem much more playful, active and just happy in general. Is giving them less veggies going to harm them? I give them a tbsp. of Sherwood pellets and unlimited hay (mixture of Oxbow's Timothy and Orachard Grass). I don't want them to get sick but I also don't want them to seem miserable like they were before.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:54 am

One cup of vegs is an imprecise (but recommended) amount. People can interpret it differently, not to mention that the choice of vegetables may make a difference.

So what did your cup consist of?

For what it's worth, I used to spread things throughout the day. Gave piles of fresh grass (that they were used to) and pieces of tomato, carrot, green pepper, and romaine (the romaine I had reservations about).

The changes as you describe, I tend to think something else is going on.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:53 am

Cucumber, cherry tomato, green pepper, carrot and leaf lettuce. What do you think could be going on?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:48 pm

How much of each per pig in a day before and now?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 am

One leaf lettuce (for average size. Small and larger ones distrited accordingly), three cucumber slices, half a cherry tomato, one baby carrot or a thin slice and about 1/4 of a green bell pepper

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:34 am

That does not seem like too much. Some guinea pigs for some reason don't do as well with peppers so perhaps a smaller amount of this fine food could work better.

What you list, is it what you used to give or what you are giving now?

I am trying to see what changes you made.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 pm

What I used to give out. Now they get pretty much half of that (with an exception of carrot and tomatoes). So half a tomato, 1 1/2 slices of cucmber 1/2 leaf of lettuce 1/8 of a bell pepper (2 slices usually), and 1 baby carrot or slice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 pm

What you are giving and were giving was not unreasonable.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:36 pm

So either way is fine for them, it just depends on the piggies?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes. I think if you have (for your pigs) a verifiable reason to change the amounts, you certainly can do so.