Are pomegranate tree branches safe for chewing?

Bobadob

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:27 pm

I have a pomegranate tree at my house and would like to know if my guinea pigs can chew on the branches and/or leaves. It is untreated but never produces fruit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 pm

I don't know anything about the tree. Not sure I would consider giving my guinea pigs branches or leaves from any tree though. Hays and fresh grass are so much better.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:31 pm

I haven't been able to find any information on whether or not the branches are safe. I'd say not to offer them, just to be on the safe side.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:58 am

The only wood from a tree that I trust to give my pigs is apple wood. I do get those wood chews, but other than that I don't give them any other wood.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 am

I cut a piece of apple branch for mine once in a while, but only the size of a pencil. She strips some of the bark off and then she’s done with it. I couldn't find anything on pomegranate so I wouldn’t try it.

LiveOaks

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:42 pm

(Hi—I haven't been on this forum in years, but I've recently taken on care of two sweet piggies and I'm excited to be here again!)

I googled and found a site on pet birds that said that they wouldn't use pomegranate wood with their birds. They didn't seem to have a definitive answer on pomegranate in particular, but they said it is very high in tannins.

On wood in general: I've been hanging out on a couple of German-language piggie forums, and I've gathered that in Germany, it is considered beneficial to offer piggies twigs regularly.

I've been using this site to check on toxicity of woods. It seems to be based on toxicity to humans, but it's a good start. (I'd use the German lists, but they hardly apply in the US!) Unfortunately, most of the woods around here are listed as toxic, so I'm trying to learn to identify the trees in our nearby greenbelt so I can bring the piggies home some twigs.