Electronic Pest Control

piggie parent

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:06 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has heard if it is safe to use one of those plug in type pest control devices its suppose to get rid of mice and bugs. I asked the vet and he said he wasnt sure,so I thought I would check before I purchased one. It says it will drive rodents from your home with some high frequency so I just wanna be on the safe side

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:11 pm

I would think it would drive guinea pigs and other animals nuts too, besides the ones you want to get rid of.

ottosmom

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:40 pm

Don't use them. I had one before I had guinea pigs and I remember the package specifically saying not to use around pet rodents.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:43 pm

I think it would be too much for small critters like guinea pigs.

piggie parent

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:15 pm

sounds like the majority ruling is stay away from them. You know pigs are so cute I never think of them being anywhere close to being a rodent. We live close to a large horse stable and several fields and the mice are really getting to me. We have been using the glue traps and they work ok but i need something that works on a bigger scale thats why i thought of these

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:41 pm

I have one in my kitchen, and it doesn't seem to bother my guinea pigs. Of course, I also watched a tiny mouse drag a giant chocolate chip cookie right through its path, so maybe it's defective. (We finally caught him and released him in a field.)

I'd forgotten we even had it in the house. Sheesh.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:42 pm

I have used them. Didn't bother the pigs or the spiders. One spider made his nest right above it.

piggie parent

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:32 pm

Ok now Im torn some say no way while others say it didnt bother the piggies. Wonder how they would react to it not right in their room but say the kitchen. I am like 2whitepigs I have saw mice there alot and also our back bathroom. I have got to do something I hate the poison stuff but it maybe my only solution so that I dont harm the babies. And those old fashioned snap traps are outta the question ewwww. Maybe someone has one of the electric things that works great and can input more info.

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:46 pm

The reason I say no, is because animals hear a much higher range of frequencies than we do. That's how dog whistles work. I don't see why guinea pigs would be excluded from posessing this physical trait.

piggypie

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:53 pm

Piggie parent the poison might be out too, unless you are prepared to rip open your walls to get to the rotting bodies. THere is nothing more putrid than the smell of a rotting mouse or rat in your walls/ceiling!

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 am

My pigs stay downstairs in the basement or play in the living room, but they don't hang out in the kitchen where the electro-thingee is. The mice didn't seem too bothered by it. We have several different kinds of "humane" traps to catch the critters we don't want living in the house, and it's been entertaining to see how much smarter the little monsters are than the designers of the traps. However, we have not had to kill one single mouse.

Another thing to do is to go around the perimeter of your house and caulk, plug, other stuff steal wool into any exterior holes larger than the diameter of a pencil. Also, close off the openings in the walls where pipes enter cabinets (like under the sink). This will help them from getting into the house in the first place.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:06 am

Post Script: We finally discovered that mice were getting into our house through the old coal chute. We sealed it off and haven't seen a mouse since.