Rodney - The piggy from Dr. Doolittle

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:02 pm

We were watching Dr. Doolittle (Part I) for about the fifth time Sunday night. Rodney, the guinea pig, is hilarious, especially the scene in the bathroom! Thank goodness guinea pigs can´t talk! I can only imagine what mine would be yelling all the time! But on a serious note, did you ever notice that Rodney´s cage had one of those wheels in it? My niece was convinced that her piggies should have a wheel too. I can just imagine how many people watched that show and decided to get one of those wheels for their piggy and then tried to put the poor pig on it. Whoever did the research for that show obviously did not know much about guinea pigs! Not to mention the fact that his cage did not have any food or water in it, it was pretty small, and he rode on top of the car!
Last edited by Stacy on Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:28 pm

I don´t generally like the treatment of guinea pigs in the media. They never get it right!

Have to say, though, that Doolittle was a far cry from the English guy who travelled the world learning the languages of the animals. Liked the book better.
Last edited by RavenShade on Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:32 pm

So now you know what it´s like for me and other horse people to watch movies with horses in it. Very, very frustrating.

LJPiggies

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:08 pm

Very true, especially when they get the gender wrong. I´ve noticed that almost every time there is an animal in a movie they usually get it wrong.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:32 am

The musical for the original Dr. Doolittle was on TV last night. Anyone catch it?

LynnK

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:02 pm

At least he had some free time to run around a bit and I bet the little girl in the show just loved him most kids do.

No Ravenshade I didn´t see it but it may not have been on in my area. I love the music for the origanal it´s like the Sound of Music!!!

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:14 pm

Lynn, I thought you were Buffy!?

LynnK

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:13 pm

I changed my mind for lynx´s new board that´s all.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:14 pm

I didn´t watch the original Dr. Doolittle last night but I rented it recently for the family to watch. It´s the one with Rex Harrison, right?

I like the original better than the recent versions, but I have to say it was pretty corny! I loved it as a kid and it´s been years since I saw it. I had relatives who lived near the picturesque village of Castlecombe in England, where the musical was filmed. I haven´t been in those parts in many years, I wonder if it´s changed much.

I think animals in movies are generally treated much better now than say ten years ago. Certainly the amount of training that goes into preparing an animal such as a dog or cat for screen work makes it a valuable investment, which often seems to be the criteria many people use for giving animals good treatment. I don´t know about animal "extras" though - rats teeming through subway tunnels, horses in battlefield scenes etc. I suspect they are not treated so well. I know there is some legislation concerning conditions and treatment of performing animals, but I really haven´t a clue how far it goes or how it´s enforced. Do Animal Care and Control officers observe on the set?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:17 pm

I remember that movie. It is very different seeing some of the old movies again, but entertaining. A while back the American Film association (I think) did up a list of the top 100 movies of all time. Quite controversial. I wonder how many of them will still be on the list in 20 or 30 years (some, I´m sure).

LynnK -- I think there are several Lyn or Lynns on the board. I´m a Lyn. I do like the one "n" I was gifted with more than the two "n" version. We Lyn´s have to be snobbish about something (everybody seems to misspell it).

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:35 am

PigPal,

I think that in the US anyway there´s someone from the SPCA or another organization on set to make sure the animals aren´t abused.

I still find myself hoping that there´s more CGI at work than animals in some shots!

Jill

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:41 am

Lynx, my sister is a Lynne....people always leave off the "e"