"Woody Pet" and Woodstove Pellets

Peter

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:54 pm

Yesterday I finally had time to drive the three hour drive up to Pennsylvania since I was low on pine, and it helped that my mom wanted to go to the Wal-Mart up there. I went into the feed store, and I was looking around in the "Gift Niche" part of the store where they have all these candles and figurines and stuff while my dad asked for the pine and woodstove pellets (I´m getting a quad of Peruvians on the 22nd so I needed some extra absorbent bedding). The woman asked him what he wanted the woodstove pellets for, and he told her. She recommended a product called "Woody Pet," which was just like woodstove pellets except for the fact it was made especially for bedding animals on it. I purchased two bags of Woody Pet since it was around the price of the woodstove pellets.

I got home, and opened the Woody Pet. It smelled. It has this odor to it, one I don´t particularly care for. It gets less potent after it´s aired (or maybe I´m just getting used to the smell) but when I go up close and take a whiff, there is the smell again. I´ve never used a wood pellet bedding, but do woodstove pellets also have this odor to them? I don´t mind it too much, but next time I´ll buy woodstove pellets if they don´t have the smell. Besides, I get more for my money with woodstove pellets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:19 pm

I´m sorry you are not very happy with them. I suggest you dump the pellets in a large shallow tray and let them air out. It should make a difference. I don´t know, but you might be able to contact the manufacturer to find out what accounts for the smell. If it is some chemical, you could research it and figure out if it is something you really want to use.

Peter

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:22 pm

I´ll try to contact the manufacturer. I´ll post any information I find.

Thanks!

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:25 pm

Wood pellets is just compressed sawdust. How could it be "especially made for pets"? And I bet that, just because it says "pets" on it, it´s twice as expensive. No?

I use stove wood pellets and there is very little smell to it. Just like kiln-dried pine shavings. I pay 4$ for a 40lbs bag.

Peter

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:32 pm

I just looked at the website, just sawdust.

I guess you´re right, just because it says "Pet Bedding" on it then it has to be specially made. Thankfully, it´s not too much more. One bag was ripped, so she taped it up and charged be $4 for 30lbs. The other was $5 for the same amount. I think next time I´ll just go with plain old woodstove pellets. They were $4 for 40lbs. It´s more economical.

They´re also the place I buy my pine shavings from. Great price on the shavings. I don´t mind driving the three hours to get them.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:34 pm

I get my wood pellets from my local hardware store. I´m sure you have them close to you.

lisam

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:42 pm

Woody Pet is big with people not familiar with wood pellets, in the horse world as well as small pets. It is basically the same as wood pellets but the pellets are broken up. I got on their web site, they sent me a free sample and directions to do an "absorbancy" test. They turned out to soak up exactly the same amount of water as my wood pellets, just a little faster, but not enough to be noticable.

I buy lots of different kinds of pellets, whatever I find on sale or wherever I happen to be at the time. Some have a better smell than others. I always check to see what the ingredients are first, because my feed store does stock one variety that contains cedar.

Peter

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:54 pm

I called Home Depot, and they didn´t have them to the best of the employee´s knowledge. I doubt they even knew what I was talking about, he spoke broken English and the other three people I talked to didn´t speak English well either.

I´ve never really seen them here before. Could woodstoves be illegal? I think my dad said something about that, but I don´t remember him being positive or not.

lisam

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:07 pm

Peter, you don´t have any feed stores close to you? I know that you can order a ton of Woody Pets delivered to your door, but don´t remember how much the shipping is. I found some wood pellets at the local grocery store! And they are actually the cheapest I´ve found, $2.99 a bag.

What state do you live in? It is possible that wood stoves could be illegal, but I would think that would be more likely in more densly populated areas?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:15 pm

Peter -- woodstoves as a class are probably not illegal. But there are some areas that may require the use of stoves that burn cleaner. Some of these stoves even have something similar to a catalytic converter to reburn the gasses.

Peter

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:21 pm

I live in New York City; Brooklyn to be more exact.

My father drives about an hour to get Mazuri pellets, I never did ask if they had bedding there. I´ll make sure he asks the next time he goes. It´s three hours for the bedding, I found the place when I was up there for a show. It´s the cheapest I´ve found bedding, the larget pet store bag is about a quarter of the bags that they have in that feed store and it´s $17 apposed to the $4 and change of the other bag. With my caviary starting (I´m going to be breeding Peruvians on a small scale) I need more bedding at a cheaper price.

If woodstoves are illegal, I think they´re illegal because of how many buildings we have and how close together they are. The whole block I live on is row houses, so if one sets on fire and the fire department doesn´t come soon enough it could spread easily to the other houses. I guess woodstoves eliminate some chance of fire. Thankfully, there hasn´t been any big fires on my block in years.

chyna_mn

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:37 pm

I´m curious about these pellets. I hear good things and bad about them and would like your opinions on them. Are they comfortable for the pigs? would you maybe put a layer of shavings on top to make it more ´fluffy´? how´s the dust? I´m sure they´re readily available in my area... ya know Minnesota and all =) Let me know what you guys think