Favorite Sounds

katn77

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:42 pm

RavenShade, at least you´re only awakened audibly... our dachshund puppy (spoiled little beast that he is) sleeps in our bed, and when he decides it´s time to get up, he just trots right up & starts chewing any exposed body part he can find. very disconcerting to be yanked out of slumber by fangs in your face.

that said, most irritating pig noise is quincy doing his OCD thing with the water bottle. he seems to love the sound of the ball rattling in the spigot, and he´ll push it up & down for 15 or 20 minutes if i don´t distract him.

the frenzied wheeking that the sound of a plastic bag elicits is my favorite.

ricky

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:39 pm

The pigs live in a room next to our bedroom, and I love to keep the door open and listen to them munch and drink and squeak and rumble around at night. If I have a hard time falling asleep, I concentrate on the sounds they make and it relaxes me.

RavenShade, I couldn´t agree more about the bar chewing. Have you ever tried one of those bad-tasting products meant to keep animals from chewing? I never have, I don´t trust what´s inside of the bottles, so instead their poor dental habits are rewarded with attention and treats to get them to stop.

I´m a guinea pig bar-chewing enabler.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:01 pm

These days Steve focuses more on his crocodile impersonation and waits for unassuming carrots to bash. I´m so glad he quit with the chewing. Not only did it get on my nerves, but I was worried about his teeth (got himself stuck once) and his jaw (heard horror stories about fractured jaws).

Alibabble

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:45 pm

The worst noise belongs to my brother´s guinea pigs. When they have finished their pellets in the food dish, or if they´ve simply dumped the dish out, they work together and get the bowls side by side. Then they nudge the bowls so that they clang together, producing this hideous clang/ring sort of noise. I take it to mean "Give me more pellets! I know I have hay, and veggies, but I want pellets!!!"

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:48 pm

I still remember the person who was describing their pig dragging the bowl across the bars like a prisoner demanding food. So tragic how this thread has deteriorated into the "unfavorite" noises. But while we´re talking about them, my most unfave noises are whimpering and brrrring. The "go away" kinda brrrs and the "oh, no, you´re going to eat me" whimpers.

Alfie

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:51 pm

I think that was Seansfamily, Lynx - Sean´s version of Jailhouse Rock.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:55 pm

Yes, I´m sure you´re right (rings a bell). If you haven´t noticed already, you will find my memory is pretty lousy.

ladyveg

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:34 am

I´ve only had one bar chewer, and that´s Twinkie. Once I moved his cage next to a boar instead of next to three trampy sows (they would flaunt themselves right next to his cage) he stopped with the bar chewing. I guess that would be a least favorite noise. That and chattering. Whenever a new pig chatters at me I just tell him, "Oh, look at you, you fewocious hunter" and pick him up anyway. I don´t have any chatterers here now, but I do have some that used to.

mon

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:29 am

How could you forget Sean´s jailhouse rock story!!!!!!

oh yeah, I hate mine chewing on their cage bars! Drives me nuts!
Last edited by mon on Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cara

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:36 am

Chriping has to be my favorite sound. I´ve only heard it twice, by Happy. Both times at night. I recently bought my pigs the pellets feeders that hook onto the sides of the cage and are self-dispensing. Half of my pigs bang it on the side of the cage, I think for the pure pleasure of annoying me. The most comforting sound is the crunching of veggies by 14 pigs! It´s relaxing to listen to, quite rhythmic.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:18 pm

The wheeking when he hears a bag rustle or sees me head in the direction of the kitchen has to be my favorite sound. It is amazing how something so little can be so loud! I just have to laugh when he wheeks and wheeks until he almost runs out of breath and then he has to take a big gulp of air to continue.

The most annoying sound is the cardboard chewing and bar chewing. He just loves to play with and bite on toilet paper tubes filled with hay. I cannot believe how much noise is produced by a guinea pig chewing on cardboard. When I am talking on the phone many feet away from his cage, the person on the other end of the line can always hear him biting the cardboard. The bar chewing is not as loud, but I worry about his jaws!

Cara

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:55 pm

Happy borke off one of his front teeth chewing on his bars. He now has a big plastic ball with a bell inside. He picks that up and shakes his head vigorously to attract attenton or he drags it along the bars.