Stacia? I´ve Got a Question.

Peter

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:01 pm

Yesterday, I went to go pick up my new cavies from the airport. Two Peruvians (Himi), and Two Peruvian Satins (himi and black). I was looking through their pedigrees, and on one of the boar´s I noticed Valhalla´s Dixon. I remembered you had a himi Peruvian named Dixon. Was that your Dixon?

Sorry about him, by the way.

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:33 pm

Yup

I believe Dixon changed hands a few times --- are your new pigs from COTM in MI?
Last edited by imanut4u on Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:48 pm

Nope, they´re from Fort York in Canada. He´s the boar´s great grandfather or something, I think. I´ll have to check the pedigree again.

imanut4u

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:58 pm

Ah, okay .... Not sure on the exact details, but Fort York is familiar. I´m sure it´s him.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:19 pm

If it is the same Dixon, keep a close eye on your new pigs´ weight. Dixon had malocclusion and although there is no reason to believe it´s hereditary in his case(could have been muscle related or TMJ related) knowing the history is enough reason to keep a vigilant watch. It would also be useful for future data to be able to compare the health of pigs with their ancestors/relations´ health.

I have a family of pigs with heart problems - definitely in the genes.

Since breeders don´t generally have the same pig from birth to death, they don´t really know what the health background is and wouldn´t be able to pass that info along.

Most pigs, in my experience, start to show age related problems at the age of 3 1/2 - 4 years.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:36 pm

Well, small world. Yes, that´s her Dixon. Dixon was bred in Ontario, Canada. As a very young baby, he was sold to Cozy Cavies in Ontario and bred when he was old enough. Like Nuts said, he changed hands often. I think Stacia was his 7th owner. I emailed Tracy, from Cozy Cavies, and she said some of her best stock went bacl to Dixon. She also told me he was one of the best Himis she had had, due to his capacity to throw excellent points.

Pinta is right. Keep an eye on their teeth.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:04 pm

I wish to God that if people have to breed they´d breed for health and screw how the pig looks. If someone cares so desperately HOW the animal looks they should just order a custom made stuffed toy.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:10 pm

Exactly my thoughts.

Peter

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:38 pm

From what I can see, Dixon is only in one of their family trees.

I´ll be sure to keep an eye on his weight, though. Can´t hurt to watch.

7th home? Wow, he must have had quite the life. I thought Hanna was amazing because this is her third home, but 7? That´s a lot of homes that guy was in.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:40 pm

The life of a commodity, not a pet.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:08 pm

Peter-
It would be great if you could post pictures of your new pigs. I´m sure stacia would like to see them.

And what is Dixon? Their grandfather? Great-grandfather?

Peter

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:33 pm

Sure, I just took some.

That´s Mikado. Dixon is his great grandfather. It´ll be a while before he´s as pretty as Dixon though, since he was just born December 9th. His points are coming in nicely, though. If all goes well, he´s making his show debut in February!

That´s Eldorado, a Peruvian satin. I don´t think he´s related to Dixon in any way, I haven´t really thorougly went over the pedirees. He was born a month before Mikado on November 3rd, and his points are coming in great! As with Mikado, if all goes well, he´s making his show debut in February too!

I also have a himi sow and a black satin sow, though I haven´t gotten pictures of them yet. They´re trimmed and all, so they´re not going to be shown. They´re going to be bred to one of the boars though, I´m not sure which yet. Don´t jump on me for breeding; I bought the right animals, and I´ve done countless amounts of research.