Depressed piggie needs help

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:14 pm

A friend of mine just sent this to me. I could only suggest another piggie, but since the boar is older, I wasn´t sure how to go about the whole process or if he would accept it. Any suggestions to help Flash?

Say, I have a friend who has 2 male 5 year old boars Harry and Flash and Harry just passed away. My mom says the one boar, Flash is quite depressed, he just lays there until someone comes and talks to him and pets him. He won´t run around much, popcorn, anything. My mom said it is so heartbreaking and she just cried when she saw him like that. Any suggestions? I don´t want him to suffer like that especially in his "golden years", he needs to be happy and comfortable.

Kara

Cara

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:18 pm

Might try adding new toys to his cage, plastic balls with bells in them, tubes to run through, something to stuff hay into that he´d have to work to get the hay out of. If she´s willing a baby boar might be worth a try. I´ve heard that older boars accpet babies a lot better than they do older boars. She´d need to be prepared to house the baby in a different cage if it didn´t work out. It might be too that another pig in the same room within seeing and smelling reach would work.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:23 pm

Hey, GREAT name!!

I´m sure a new piggie would do the trick. I asked my friend if HER friend wanted to "start over" with a young pig. So sad. Thank you for the suggestions. I will pass them along.

K

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:36 pm

When Max passed away, Steve did the same thing. Moped and sighed and looked as miserable as I felt. He wouldn´t come out of the pigloo. Broke my heart. So I got him Julius, a youngish boar of about a year old. I went to the shelter with a specific type of pig in mind - not too old, not too young, friendly and able to accept company. It also helped that Jules was the submissive sort, so Steve could be Alpha.

I suspect Flash feels lonely since he´s used to another boar and company (even if it´s in a neighboring pen) would do him some good. I´m sure they feel the loss like we do.

In the meantime, extra cuddles helped Steve feel better and helped me through the loss, too.

You might also suggest a stuffed sock. Some pigs like to lay on them and it might bring Flash comfort.

It´s not easy to start over, and grief shouldn´t be rushed. I didn´t get a new pig right away. I´m sure your friend will do what´s best for them . And tell her I´m sorry for her loss. :(
Last edited by RavenShade on Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:34 pm

Those can also be symptoms of a sick animal. What caused Harry´s death? Unless his death was completely unrelated to health problems (I´m thinking upper respiratory issues in particular) then getting a companion for Flash could be a good idea. But it can´t hurt to have him looked at by a vet, especially before bringing a new animal into the house.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:05 pm

Good point.

KarasKavies

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:08 pm

That is a very good point.

Thank you, to all of you, for your suggestions. Hopefully Flash will be up and popping soon.

Kara