Orange peppers...

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:54 am

Speking of veggies... boy, did the prices go up this past week here in California!!! I went to the store last night and a SMALL head of romaine was $2.99!!! Same with the red lettuce, butter lettuce etc. A small bunch of spinach leaves was $2.50!! I finally found dandelion greens for a "steal" at $1.99 a bunch!! How are the prices for you guys out there?? A small head of romaine is about 1 1/2 feedings for my 3. Maybe this is a good way for ME to lose weight... I´ll use my food money on them!

Kara

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:20 am

Scout around for a store that will let you have the outer discarded leaves. I buy tomatoes, green peppers and a few other treats in season -- and pick fresh grass. My favorite store lets pet owners pick through the discarded leaves bin. Nobody will eat the cabbage leaves but they love the romaine. And the outer leaves have more vitamin C in them (I am guessing, because they are greener).

Yes, the romaine has gone up around here. When it is abundant, I´ve gotten it for $.69 a bunch.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:44 pm

Don´t get me started on produce prices.
I used to work in a grocery store and they were bad enough then.
I try not to think about it now when I go to the check-out. I just hand over cash mindlessly of how much I´m paying for an individual Granny Smith apple or a head of Romaine.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:32 pm

I bought a flat of wheat grass at our local organic foods market. The pigs went nuts for it. They munched the top layer off all the edges and jumped "in" the grass like they had their own little lawn. Big hit!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:01 pm

Sunny, that´s a great idea. Wheat grass grows so fast from seed I could probably have my own farm in a few weeks. I used to teach Kindergarten and we would plant wheat grass in the spring to make Easter baskets. I was always amazed by how fast it grew! My kids would have great fun with this too!

Lynx, the discarded leaf trick is another great idea. Teresa gave me the idea of asking for the untrimmed heads of romaine. They love the outer leaves anyway. The romaine hearts are a waste on them! I´ll have to find a store that will let me rumage through the leaves!

K

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:26 pm

My pigs are wild about wheat grass. And if you let it get long and stalky, the young stalks are also very sweet -- might make good sugar cane. Once they gave me a box of romaine that had been pulled because it was to small and beat-up looking. I had over a dozen heads! I cut of the ends and stuck them in a bin filled with water and they freshened up and kept quite nicely for several days.

Some stores are real pains, though. They come up with the craziest stories and excuses for not giving you trimmings and things they just throw away. Like claiming a distant store was sued for killing some rabbits (sure). Your best bet is to find a store that specializes in vegetables and fruits, freqent it and buy all your produce there (they are often cheaper). The one I always go to is many years old, has changed hands multiple times and is at last employee owned -- so when you ask if you can have the loose leaves, you know it is okay.