Orange peppers...

chyna_mn

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:48 pm

Anyone had luck with these? I know people say red and green ones are ok but what about orange? Also does anyone know of a "good food" list other than the one on CG? After reading cabbage was good on there I don´t know what to believe anymore... maybe we could start a list on here? Thanks guys

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 8:58 pm

I personally think grass is the best. Trying to figure out what vegetables are best is a subjective thing. And some of the items the pigs go for, may not be as good for them as other things.

My subjective personal list would be topped by:
Grass

Then:
romaine
tomato
green pepper
carrot (a small one)
bok choy
parsley

I sometimes give fruit, but I don´t think it is as healthful.
A grape
A couple raisins
cantalope
strawberries
apples
bit of banana (very little)

I feed timothy pellets which I think make up for things like the bok choy which may be higher in calcium.

I think the key is to mainly feed lots of hay, good quality pellets and grass. Moderate amounts of the other things (the immoderate amounts might be as many as three or four leaves per pig of romaine when I get lots).

I can´t say scientifically if this is the best diet they could have. I think we carry our own beliefs and prejudices about food. Mine won´t touch cabbage leaves.

--

Oh, I forgot about weeds (it´s winter). Chickweed and dandelions are appreciated. They ate some kale tonight (usually ignor it). Other kinds of leafy greens are nice too, in moderation (beet greens, spinach).
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Feb 14, 2002 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:12 pm

I´m sure my pigs would love orange bell peppers, if I could afford to buy them! Last time I looked they were $4 a pound!

lisam

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:39 pm

Tell me about it. For some reason my daughter has fallen in love with the red, orange, and yellow peppers, and they are ten times as much $ as the green ones.

chyna_mn

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:02 am

Well I bought them at super walmart for 2 for $3 (a little spendy I guess). I was just going to get two red ones but only one was a decent size and firmness so I decided to go ahead and get an orange and ask what you guys thought. I don´t eat peppers, I only buy em for the pigs. I honestly wouldn´t have any produce in my house if it wasn´t for them lol. They are so spoiled! They really like the red peppers so I hope they like the orange ones. Actually they haven´t been picky lately, just as long as they get a ´salad´ every night! and boy do I hear about it if I´m late on delivering!

Thanks for the list Lynx. I killed my grass and am gonna try and revive it... it´s grass it should come back? and weeds are hard to come by this time of year.... although we don´t have any snow... Minnesota and no snow... what a weird winter! I also have some parsley seeds I should start growing I´m running out of high places to stick pots where the cat can´t find them though... he´s evil and destroys everything! thanks again!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:52 am

By the way, my pigs like green pepper better than red pepper. I thought I was doing them such a royal favor when I gave them some sweet, treasured red pepper and they pretty much ignored it. Might be the taste wasn´t quite right (they did eat it another night).

Where you are, you might even be able to grow a small patch of timothy to feed your pigs fresh. It is nice and soft. I think the moles ate most of my timothy´s roots as very little is left. But they liked it plenty while it was around.

lisam

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:50 am

Your Walmart has produce?

chyna_mn

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:50 pm

Lisam- supper walmart is a walmart with a supermarket all in one. We also have a super target with the same thing... are big K also has some grocery items not produce though.

Lynx- I live in an apartment building so I don´t have a yard to grow things like that but eventually when we have a house I´ll have a pig garden lol =) my husband will really think I´m nuts then =) I get Timothy hay from a local farmer it´s pretty nice, soft, sweet smelling. but not the same as fresh would be. I´ll have to try the green peppers. Like I said they like anything lately =)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:16 pm

I´ve started frequenting places like Magruder´s and local asian markets for less expensive peppers. Not that the boys appreciate it, but...
Last edited by RavenShade on Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:59 pm

My piggies love bell peppers. Their favorite is blueberries... I just read Lynx´s note about fruit not being "as healthful." Is too much fruit bad for them? I usually give my pigs a baby carrot, some greens, and a 2 inch square piece of fruit twice a day. Is this too much?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:00 pm

A two inch cube might be alot -- it depends on sugar content of the fruit. Mine like blueberries too. I think some sorts of fruit are like eating candy (grapes).

Because of the high sugar content I wouldn´t give them tons but I do like to give them a little (example -- one or at most two pieces of fruit -- might consist of:

A single grape
An apple-pie sized slice of apple
A big cube of cantalope
A single fat strawberry
Half a dozen blueberries

-- you get the idea -- moderation is the key).
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladyveg

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:22 am

Sunny: "I usually give my pigs a baby carrot, some greens, and a 2 inch square piece of fruit twice a day."

You are so dedicated to your pigs--mine want to go live with you. I wondered about the baby carrot twice a day, though, is that one baby carrot per pig? I´ve read that too much carrot can be a problem, maybe someone else can elaborate, that it causes a liver problem or overdose of a certain vitamin. I only give the amount of a baby carrot every other day per pig at the most and usually more like two times a week.