Need A Scale

PaisCashGingGang

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 pm

I also have that one that Sef has pictured. I love it. Two of my piggies stayed still in it, but one wanted nothing to do with it (luckily I got her weight before she decided to go awol).

*Another tip: Weigh piggie on floor or somewhere else safe in case they want to jump ship.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:20 pm

I got a glass top Salter. It's digital, which is great and I can get weights accurate down to every 2 grams, I believe. Not bad. Plus, I found one on ebay for less than $30. The glass is easy to clean and provides ample weigh space and can accomodate a container, if desired.

Salters are known to be pretty precise. So are postal scales. You'll probably be O.K. with any scale if you are weighing adult pigs just to get a ballpark number. I had to have something I knew was precise, too.

papiggieluverz

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:44 pm

I got my scale from target online, and it cost like 24.99 and it has the tare option which is great, because most of my piggies are fat.

I put them in a bowl on top of the scale and it seems to work, I weigh mine in grams but it has the option of ounces and pounds which is great.

Joannt
Wheekness for Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:37 pm

My Salter has a flat top too...so you can use any kind of container with it. I liked the little bowl but, frankly, any kind of tupperware, or plastic container would work. A tare feature gives you that option.

Joann

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:42 pm

I have the same "Good Cook" scale pictured above and it's great. My little trick is to put in in a laundry basket when weighing...no pigs are going AWOL. I bought mine at Target, I believe.

UP Lisa

Post   » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:07 pm

It does seem to be hard to find one with a large enough "bowl" for a piggie to fit comfortably.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:28 pm

If the top is flat, you can put any bowl you want on there. Just tare out the weight of the bowl before adding the pig.

harryten

Post   » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 am

I know the etekcity scale is great as i have its kitchen scale for 3 years without no problem.

Rome_Italy

Post   » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

My scale is a Salter, a flat one, bought only because it was very cheap here (9€). It is perfect and with a very long warranty (15 years). The top is flat and up to now I have put my pigs on it without any bowl. But I will use a large bowl when they grown up...
My vet gave me an advice: when the scale is new it is better to weigh an object we have at home (a pot, a frame, etc.) writing in a hidden space of the same object its grams/ounces. In the future we can check our scale's integrity just weighing the same object... :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Yes, a very good idea! I have suggested using a standard object as a reference weight for some time!

You basically want to monitor changes. Many scales have a "tare" feature where you can zero out a pan, for example, and then put a guinea pig in it and get its weight. Bread pans seem to work pretty well.
weigh.html

This picture appears on the above page:

harryten

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 am

you can get health from [removed - Lynx] daily use.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:16 am

We bought a "Biggest Loser" scale from Walmart for about $15 I think. It has the tare and will weigh by gram or pounds/ounces both. I use a plastic bowl on the flat top, tare that weight out, then weight the pigs.