Squeeky Pig writes: Should I keep the new companion pig?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:50 am

Squeeky Pig writes:

Please help,

I just got a new guinea pig for my Squeeky to keep him company. The last one might have given him and infection but I returned him because the two were fighting. After I gave him anti-biotics he seemed better and started eating. Yet he is kind of listless and tired most of the time. So I thought that a new friend would cheer him up. He seems to be annoyed mostly with the new partner and does not engage him in any activity. When I pet him while the two are in the tank together he starts to whine. I heard that two pigs are better than one and that it might lift his spirits, but he seems to turn his back on the new pig. I don´t know whether I should return the new one and let him be alone or try to pair them up again and hope that they get along. They don´t fight, but the new little on "mounts" him alot trying to engage him, but Squeeky just tosses him off his back. He doesn´t whine or complain but he seems like he doesn´t want to be bothered.

Squeeky is blind I think and is not very active to begin with no matter how much room I give him to move around, he can stay in one spot for hours. The new pig runs circles around him but Squeeky doesn´t respond postively, mostly turning away and grinding his teeth when the little one becomes to agressive. He also "growls" when he´s displeased and he does that sometimes too with the new one. I don´t know what to do, becuase I can still return the new one to the pet store, but I don´t want to distress Squeeky if he is attached to this new one, like the other new one I brought in a couple of weeks ago and had to return because they were fighting. I think because Squeeky might be blind, he is very innactive, ever since I got him and the new one is just to hyper. They don´t fight, but the new one tries to "mount" him in an effort to engage Squeeky, because he doesn´t even acknowledge his presense! and keeps turning away from him and tossing him off his back.

Please let me know what I should do

Thanks for any help

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:54 am

How large a cage are they in? You might also consider two good sized cages side by side. It may seem like he is not happier but often pigs feel better knowing they are not the only pigs in the house.

Usually pigs should be quarantined (separated by a room, wash hands in between handling pigs) to ensure that an illness is not passed to the resident pig from the new one.

SqueekyPig

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:01 am

Dear Lynx,

I understand the quarantine period, because thats how Sqeeky got sick from the last pig that I bought. I am considering returning the new one because I´ve only had him 1 day, but again I don´t want to distress Squeeky if he has become attached to him, which I don´t think he has, but none the less I just want him to be happy and provide a good environment for both of them. But if they don´t get along I don´t know if I should keep this new one if he is "crazy" about Squeeky and doesn´t seem to be active on his own. I think what would be best for both of them is if I return the new on to the petstore where he can possibly get adopted with one of his brothers or people who can show him enough attention. My Squeeky doesn´t need much attention, but from reading about Guinea care I thought that he might be more active and happier with another pig, but that was not the case.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:00 pm

I´m not quite sure I understand what you mean by understanding the quarantine period. I thought you said you just got this pig. You described their interactions together. If you just got the pig and immediately introduced them, they were not quarantined -- or kept separate -- from each other for a period of time (2 to 3 weeks) so you could ensure there was nothing wrong with the new pig.

Anyway, how large is the place you are keeping them? Have you considered roomy quarters like Teresa Murphy describes at www.cavycages.com ?

A very few pigs are solitary but as long as your pigs are not fighting, they may get along. Young pigs can be annoying and then when they go through their adolescent stage, they may again become annoying. This doesn´t mean they might not settle down and be happier.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:33 pm

SqueekyPig - how long have you had Squeeky? Most guinea pigs appreciate company of their own kind, even just to talk to. If he has been living alone for quite a long time it might be difficult for him to adjust to having a buddy at first. A large pen or enclosure would definitely help. You mentioned that Squeeky lives in a tank, which is actually not a good choice for a guineapig. Tanks are generally not big enough and the solid glass or plastic sides don´t allow adequate ventilation, which could be harmful to Squeeky.

I´m wondering why you suspect he´s blind? When he caught an infection from the other pet store pig did you have a vet look at him and comment on his vision?

SqueekyPig

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 3:18 pm

Pigpal,

I don´t have room for a bigger tank, but the one he´s in is relatively big 20" by 14". With the addition of the new guinea pig I am just worried that he might become more reclusive and widthdrawn because of the little one´s antics. And on the other hand I´m afraid that if I return the new guinea pig that he will get depressed and not eat. Squeeky has been by himself for a little over a year now, he´s a very affectionate guinea pig and I´m just worried that because he is not showing enough attention to the new animal that he has infact "rejected" him or finds him a bother.

However he does seem to be eating a little bit more and is a little bit more active. No I did not quarantine the new pig because I only have 7 days to decide whether I should keep him. I only got him to give Squeeky some companionship. However, if he does not want it (which I´m not sure of) then I will do both pigs a favor and send the new one back. However I don´t know how much TIME I need to give both of them before I make a decission. My piggy telepathy does not seem to be working on this one. But all I know is that they don´t fight, but Squeeky is still tossing the new on off his back because he keeps "mounting" him to get his attention and he doesn´t want to give it.

Again the bottom line is I don´t want either of them to be miserable and I don´t want to do emotional harm to my pet by keeping him OR taking him away. I am in a quandry and my intelect tells me that they´re not interacting, but yet when I came home just now, they weren´t annoying each other either.

HELP!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:07 pm

20" X 14" is VERY SMALL! It is small for ONE pig and way too small for 2 pigs! They do not have enough room to interact in a comfortable environment. Check out the cages at www.cavycages.com I think a big part of the problem could be the small space.

Kara

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:12 pm

From [URL]www.cavycages.com:[/URL]

Deluxe 1-Story Guinea Pig/Dwarf Rabbit Home
Outer dimensions: 26" x 14" = 2.5 sq feet
Inner dimensions: approx 23" x 11" = 1.75 sq feet!
ABUSIVELY TOO SMALL, nothing Deluxe about it!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:51 pm

I absolutely agree! That is very, very small. You will have problems keeping them healthy and more problems keeping them happy with a space so terribly small. These days the smallest area people here would ever suggest is more than twice that size for only one pig! And I truly believe Teresa is on the right path suggesting even more space. She won´t adopt out pigs unless they have (I think) about 7 square feet for one pig and more for two.

My pigs have a whole room. It makes a tremendous difference in their happiness to have more space and an interesting environment. You can use towels in the main area and try litter pans with a large cover or house to encourage their use.

You may not think there is space but sometimes reorganizing things works wonders.

Jeff ought to put up more photos of his room and the arrangement he has.

lisam

Post   » Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:57 pm

The new smaller pig doesn´t want "interaction"--he wants to show his dominance. Pigs do that when they are introduced to each other. They do this by mounting each other, growling, fighting. It is also a sexual thing, this is how pigs mate. It depends on the pigs how much time it takes for them to get past this stage in their relationship. Also, how close in age are the pigs? The bigger the difference, the better they tend to get along. I have an adult boar with a new baby, and they have been together for a few weeks or more, and there is still some mounting going on. So it may just take time.

That said, I think that it would be better for you to take the new pig back to the store. An aquarium is not an appropriate home for one pig, let alone two, and it is much too small. Even if Squeeky liked the new pig, he is probably feeling cramped and upset that his territory is encroached upon.

The problem is, however, that if Squeeky is sick, then there is a chance that he has already gotten the new pig sick. Then if you take him back, there is a chance that whoever buys him will end up with a sick pig.

Perhaps it would be better if you could make a bigger cage, following the links suggested above.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:43 pm

And get Squeeky to a vet. From what I understand, Guinea Pigs are very delicate creatures and any sign of sickness should be addressed immediately.

Also, you never answered the question about why you think Squeeky might be blind. I´m curious.