Cell-sorb and wheat grass for PetsMart piggers???

Kath

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:29 am

I couldn´t believe it. I went into PetsMart the other day to get some kibble, and as always went to check on the pigs. (I´ve been known to fuss and complain ALOT when I´m in there if the pigs appear ill or crowded or inbred or just unhappy.) Imagine my surprise when a few months ago they switched to cell-sorb. Then they began putting no more than 3...and usually only 2... pigs in the small cages they have for the piggers. Imagine my further surprise when they had piles of freshly grown wheat grass in there! No hay yet, but mayhaps it´ll be coming too. And, I haven´t seen an obviously sick guinea pig in there for a very long time.

I´ll only be REALLY happy with PetsMart when they wise up and include piggers in their Adopt-A-Pet days, but at least the pigs that are there are having a better go at it these days.

Laura823

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:35 am

Well, it´s a good sign! A pet store is still a pet store but it sounds like a step in the right direction. I was also surprised recently when I went to the pet store here and there was Carfresh in some of the cages (they use kiln-dried pine in the others).

Another thing I noticed was that they have started carrying up-to-date, accurate books on pet care. There is a new series there from Barron´s called "For the Love of Animals" and I was very impressed with it, in particular the guinea pig book. They recommended at least 12 sq feet of cage space (the most I´ve ever seen recommended in any book!) and most of the other information was accurate as well. They seem to be selling very well too because they were all sold out the last time I went back.

With progress like this, at least maybe the pigs sold there have a better chance.

ladyveg

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:18 pm

12 square feet? That´s a 2 foot by 6 foot cage, extremely commendable, but...must have been a typo, how much you want to bet they meant 1-2 square feet per pig?