Registration/show question

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:45 pm

How does it work when you register a pig? Can any pig be registered if it is purebred? What are the the requirements? Does any flaw (for example an overbite) make it impossible to register a pig?

In Quarter horses, you can´t reguster double dilutes (cremello and perlino) even if they are purebreds. Is there a color restriction for pigs?

I´m asking because I often hear breeders say they want to improve the breed and it´s not always clear what they mean by it. I´m not trying to corner anyone, here. I´d just like more information.

Peter

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:35 pm

From what I understand, I think I have a good understanding of the process, that a pig has to be purbred for at least 3 generations, with a 3 generation pedigree as proof. They have to meet the standards (accepted breed color, etc), and before they are registered an ACBA registrar has to examine the animal before it gets registered. I´m pretty sure that flaws like overbites make it impossible to register a pig, but I´m not positive.

Maybe Kleenmama will be able to go more in depth.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:06 pm

So even if a pig is purebred, perfect in any way, but just not the right color, he can´t be registered? Makes no sense at all. Just like those stupid AQHA people do about cremello and perlino.

What are the colors that are not accepted?

Peter

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:45 pm

The colors that are accepted are listed in the Standards of Perfection, a book that you can buy from the ARBA. It has the standards for all of the accepted rabbit and cavy breeds. You have to buy a new one every four or five years.

For instance, in an American Crested the only white allowed on the body is the crest. If you have a PEW American Crested, or a black and white American Crested they can´t be registered. They may be perfect in every way, but the white on their body makes all the difference.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:32 pm

Peter is right. In order to be registered, the pig can not have any disqualifications that would make it unsuitable for showing. So if it would be a disqualification on the show table, then you can´t register the pig.
As for an overbite, I see the judges checking to make sure they have all their teeth, and not chipped or broken, but I don´t remember one being DQ´d for an overbite.
But remember, there are different qualifications in Canada than in America. So if you want to know the Standards in Canada, you´d need to get their book. Alot of recognized colors and even breeds in Canada are not so in America, or the UK.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.