Mites?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:00 pm

I get totally lost on the pounds/ounces and cc/mg thing too! I just always weigh mine in grams because my scale can do it and it is easier to figure out dosing.

Laura... do you know what the dilution of the Ivermectin is?

LYNX!! Are her pigs getting enough??

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:57 pm

She gave a dose rate. The rate is okay (I´ve usually seen 0.2 mg/kg but it is not unreasonable).

What I would do is bath the pigs in Nizoral which is an anti-fungal shampoo. There is an outside chance a fungal infection (and the dandruff) are causing itchiness. And after the bath, I´d try topical ivermectin. Talk to your vet about other possibilities.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:28 am

Nizoral is safe for pigs? Maybe I should try that with Buddy. He seems to scratch a fair bit, but there´s no pain or discomfort...it´s like he has dandruff or is bored of eating (practically non-stop eating), so he scrathes in between mouthfuls. *LOL*

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:00 am

I kind of think you have to use both. Mites are still the most likely thing to cause excessive scratching and there really is no other truly effective way to get rid of mites.

Using the Nizoral just covers more bases.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:51 am

I took Carpet to the vet. She said she thought it was probably mites. Thankfully, she didn´t do a skin scraping. She gave me Ivermectin and said to give the adult pigs 3 drops every 10 days, 3 times in total, and to give the babies 1 drop every 10 days, 3 times in total. I told her that one of my sows is pergnant and she said it would be safe to use as they use it on pregnant cows. Is this ok? She said I could either drop it in their mouths or on their skin. I have decided to do it on their skin as I thought it would probably be more effective and less stressful for the pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:00 am

Drops can actually be different sizes. Ideally you would have a more accurate way to measure them. And the topical dose is generally higher than the oral/injected dose.

How old/large are the babies? I have read that even though pregnant pigs can be treated with ivermectin, it is best not to treat young pigs until they are 12 oz (about 350gm).

You can check https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/ivermectin.html#dose for more info on dosing.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:15 am

2 of the babies are 9 weeks old and one of them is 10 weeks old.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:33 am

You need to weigh them. Then you will know if they are too small.

Ziggypiggy

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 11:47 am

Ok. I will weigh them and double check that they are not too small. Thanx.

Aliciaxx.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 8:54 pm

Huh? I thought the dosage was different from oral to topical? Lynx?
Also, I agree with Lynx. "Drops" is not an accurate or reliable way to measure dosages. Get a small syringe and ask your vet for a precise number.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 16, 2002 10:10 pm

Yes it is. I mentioned that in the post above and put a link to the ivermectin page that she should read for more information and a much better understanding of how dosing is done.