Hello! I am new!

pigpal

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:13 pm

Cod´s tongues I didn´t even know cod had tongues. Are they really tongues or is it some kind of local name like the English call fish sticks "fish fingers"?

Now don´t try to tell me they really have fingers too!

Jill

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:24 pm

I met someone from "Salmon Arm" which makes about as much sense as cod tongues!

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:56 pm

Wow. Reading this you´d think that Canada has an actual culture or two going on up there.

Nah. Can´t be. Must be pilfered traits from other nations, as is the Canadian way.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:23 pm

Yup, pretty sure those Newfies are yanking the tongues outta cods with their bare hands.

And I think Screech was originally moonshine(??) but I think you can buy it at the liquor stores now.

Newfies are also unintelligible to the rest of Canada(ROC). No one knows what the heck they´re saying. Was in a comedy Club in NY once when a Newfie did a set. He was in the audience and had bought a mike thing off a street vendor. Thought he´d do a set during the break. We were the only other Canucks there so we translated his act(very regional that only other Canucks would "get"). Basically you just exchange Arkansas for Newfoundland. Luckily it was a slow night(weekday). The professional comics loved it. They said it was the wildest night they´d had in a long time. The Newfie ended up being backup for the whole night.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:25 pm

Now now, Ciaytee, you KNOW it´s the U.S. pilfering OUR culture.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:51 pm

Canada actually does have a couple cultures of its own, you know. :) There´s no such thing as Canadian culture, but Newfoundland has a culture all its own, as well as its own dialect which is unintelligible depending on the region in which the speaker was raised. I´m from St. John´s, so while I have a slight accent, I am very concise in my speaking. My bf on the other hand, is a bayman from a town called New Harbour and not one of the people on this board would EVER be able to understand anything he would ever say. Ever. It took me about 3 months to get his dialect, along with that of his entire family, down to a science.

Trust me, Pinta, you´d be able to understand me if I spoke to you.
As for the cod tongues, yes, cod do have tongues. Large ones, and instead of using our bare hands to remove them from the cod as Pinta suggests, we actually have these brilliant inventions called knives. Not that I personally have ever removed a cod´s tongue, as they are quite readily available in the supermarkets.

pinta

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:02 pm

Oh come on - tell the truth. You deep kiss the cod and rip their tongues out with your teeth.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:11 pm

That is about as appetizing as pickled pig´s feet.

Sunny

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:15 pm

pinta - that made me laugh out loud!

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:03 pm

Pinta-
Hey! We eat cod tongues, too. Actually, the livers and stomachs are a real treat, too.

Lynx-
You didn´t answer. Does that mean I got myself a brand new, shinny toy? *wipes drool from chin*
Last edited by Evangeline on Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laura823

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:46 pm

Am I the only Atlantic Canadian who´s never had a cod tongue? Hmm...I don´t really plan on trying it in the near future, either! Like Dobby, I am more of an observer of Newfoundland ways than a participant.

LynnK

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:28 pm

Hey I saw a report that one or maybe more airplanes that got rerouted on Sept. 11 went to Newfoundland and they said they were so nice and feed them and had cots and some folks took them into there homes sounds like a very nice place maybe nice than my home hummmmmmmmm just a thought!!!

LynnK