Hair Cut???

Laura

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:09 pm

We tried to give Nikki a hair cut. We think she is part Peruvian and she has long hair on her bottom area. When goes it makes her hair all stiff. Instead of washing it everyday we tried to give her a little hair cut. It did not go well. Every time we got near her with the scissors she started squeaking. We tried to cover up her face in a towel. We did this when we clipped her nails because when she didn´t see what was happening she didn´t wiggle or squeak. She always managed to poke her head out. Now it looks like someone who had no idea what they were doing(which I didn´t)cut her hair.
Does anyone have any expieriances in doing this?

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

pigpal

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:14 pm

That sounds very familiar! I have Peruvians too and the first few haircuts left them looking like they´d been run over with a lawnmower.

I use sharp hairdressers´ scissors (blunt scissors pull the hair) and it´s definitely a two person job. One holds the pig, the other trims carefully. Practise makes perfect and I do a credible job now. I like to keep the hair around their genitals trimmed very short and all the rest is trimmed at floor level.

Keep practising and do a little at time until the pig gets used to it. Good luck!

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:01 pm

Maybe you could make an appointment with a dog grommer and she could give you a few pointers as well.

Peter

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:13 pm

I agree with Pigpal, get two people to help you if she´s struggling. Most of mine stay put while I´m cutting, so it can be a one person job. Practice does make perfect, you should have seen Daisy´s hair the first time I cut it!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:04 am

Get some good scissors like PP suggested. I remember reading somewhere that pigs have hair and not fur. When I trim Penny, I keep this in mind. Her hair is so thick, I kind of trim it in layers. She is an American/Sheltie mix and only has longish hair on her rump, so I only trim her butt and a little on the sides. It does seem to grow back quickly! I know it is time for a butt trim when I pick her up and her bum is wet. Not a great feeling! Get good hair scissors. Good luck!

Kara