Paybacks are hell.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:28 pm

I have 4 boars that live in pairs because one of them--Beau--is an absolute terror to 2 of them--St.John and Al. He cannot be around them without flying into a humping frenzy and committing vile and lacivious acts upon them.

Last week, though, I got stupid. I was hoping that maybe now that Beau is older, he´d outgrown some of his aggression, and I put them together for floor time. He did swagger and try to rape Al, but Al didn´t act like he was being too terribly hurt, so I let it go on for a bit. 2 days later I found a huge scab on Al´s back, and underneath it, a very large puncture wound. Al is all better now, and I have promised him that he will never have to be around the serial rapist again.

Since that time, Al has avoided Beau´s cage like the plague. During floor time, he gives it a wide berth and really won´t even look at it that much. Except for tonight. The little dare-devil is pacing around Beau with a manly swagger, and he´s motorboating like there´s no tomorrow. And Beau is having a flat-out hissy-fit. He is racing from level to level, just dying to get at Al. He reminds me of that little dog on the Warner-Brothers cartoons that hangs around with the bulldog, Spike. Charley? He´s spastic and always saying, "Let me at ´em!"

I probably should make Al stop, but I´m thinking he deserves a little vengeance. It´s too bad, though, that Al isn´t this brave when Beau is out of the cage. Beau is the smallest and the youngest, but he has serious issues with violence and dominance. I truly think all he needs is a good butt-whipping, but none of the other pigs will give it to him. They all just cower and let him act like a jerk.

But at least for the moment Al can pretend that he´s a macho pig.

MattM

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:39 pm

Is Beau neutered?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:00 am

I think they´re all manly pigs. Isn´t that so, Ciaytee? Sounds like Beau needs a snip though.

pinta

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:46 am

Wouldn´t make a difference. It´s the pig´s personality.

MattM

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:59 am

It would have a noticable effect on his "habits".

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:02 am

I forgot. You´re right. People have said neutering to change personality is a waste of time. Guess that´s what having extra cages is for.

pinta

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:36 pm

If "habits" is humping - won´t make a difference. Sometimes they grow out of that stage and sometimes they use it strictly to prove dominance. Willie was a neutered pig who was a true street fighting rumblestrutting fool. Apatche is more like a sow than a boar - neutered also.