Cavy Flea Treatment

Scrambles

Post   » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 pm

I know I'm not crazy...my piggy (his name is Burrito) definitely has actual fleas. I confirmed it tonight. I've had him for 2 weeks, he was a rehome. I have no other animals at all, no mice, no rats. He came into this home with these fleas. He's got eggs, flea dirt, the fleas are jumping off of him every which way when I brush him. When he first got here we changed his bedding from wood chips to fresh new fleece. So I'm not sure how I feel about "special guinea pig fleas" and statements that they can't get fleas from other species. He's wasn't with others who could pass these on - just cats and dogs.

Basically, I need to make sure I'm choosing appropriate treatments. I have a better idea what to try now though, thanks to this thread.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:57 am

I know people say there are different kinds of fleas, but as far as I'm concerned, fleas are fleas are fleas. And having been bitten by them a number of times in my life when I've been around animals with fleas, I'm pretty sure I wasn't infected with a human kind of flea.

Just make sure you address the source of the fleas -- the other animals in your home, your home itself, even the yard. You have to take a multi-pronged approach to getting them out of the environment, or they'll just keep coming back.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:41 am

On this post, is a picture of my flea catcher - a light over a shallow bowl of water in which a drop of detergent has been added (to break the surface tension).

This will catch some of the fleas that escape your infested guinea pig:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 9#p1127439

Scrambles

Post   » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you both, I'll be doing a treatment of Burrito and thorough cleaning this weekend. The way our house is set up, and considering we're in a 2nd floor apartment and have no other animals, I'm hoping the cleaning will mostly be just frequent vacuuming and fresh fleeces once or twice daily.