Bermuda Hay?

Jensway

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:13 pm

Hi all,
I am new to this forum as I am also a new prowd owner of 2 female piggies--Batgirl and Wonderwoman. We just got them about 3 weeks ago. I have built a coroplast and cubes cage for them and they just love it so much that I have built one for a friend who also just got a new pigie. Anyway I have been reading the forums here and at cavy cages, but I do have a question that I can´t seem to find an answer to. Right now the girls are eating alphafa hay as they are 10 weeks old. I have been reading about the Timothy Hay and I am curious if in a couple of months the girls could eat Bermuda Hay? Both the Timothy and Bermuda are costal hay. I live in Texas and can find the Bermuda Hay real cheap at the feed store, they don´t carry the Timothy. I have talked to the vet here in town and he is not sure--said he would think it would be OK since they are both costal, but I don´t know. If anyone could shed a little light on this I would be greatful.

Another question if I may, our piggies love corn shucks. One place on the forum it says not to give them the silks (which I haven´t ) and then last night I was reading a thread where they were giving them silks and shucks. Does anyone have an opion on this? Another thing we have found is that the girls love green leaf lettuce and parsley.

Thank you all for the information I have found here--just takes time to read through most of it to get caught up.

Jennifer

lisam

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:41 pm

I don´t know anything about Bermuda hay, I have some horse friends in Texas who feed it to their horses. If horses eat it, it is probably safe for pigs. I am thinking it is a grass type hay, as opposed to the alfalfa, which is a legume?

I feed my pigs whole ears of corn, husks, silks, and all, with no ill effects.

Parsley is great for pigs. I think it is the best green you can give them. Green leaf lettuce is good, mine like romaine better. It is fun to experiment to see what your pigs like. Most of mine love dill, and all like fennel. Kale is a favorite also.

By the way, my name is Lisa, nice to meet you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:44 pm

It´s a grass hay, I would imagine if you get a high quality hay (check the hay page on Guinea Lynx for what to look for -- see button above), it would work out fine.

This is what I have on it:

"Burmudagrass (bahama grass, devil´s grass, star grass, wiregrass, joint grass) cynodon dactylon

Long lived warm season, perenial grass; forms a dense turf. Probably originated in Africa, but widespread throughout tropical, subtropical, and mild temperate areas of the world. Prefers heavy soils, but when well fertilized, will grow on deep sands. Hardy grass capable of withstanding drought or waterlogging.

Used primarily for pasture and lawn cover. Also used for hay. Produces excellent yields of palatable, nutritious forage when managed properly. Rated as an excellent forage for cow-calf operations, good for growing, but poor for finishing."

-- From Feeds and Nutrition by Ensminger, Oldfield and Heinemann
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:12 pm

I think Patv over at CG uses Bermuda hay for her pigs. It should be fine.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:23 pm

I bought a bale of Bermuda for my guys, when Timothy was really hard to get. It´s very fine textured, much softer than Timothy. My pigs wouldn´t touch it, they held out for so long I was worried their teeth would overgrow! I ended up using it as bedding and going back to Timothy.

I´ve heard of other pigs that love it, so I would encourage you to try it.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:36 pm

Peter-
Wow! What a reference! *smirk*

Lisam-
Parsley is quite high in vitamin C, but don´t forget it is also high in calcium.

Jensway

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:09 pm

Thank you all for your help and quick replies. I will go and read the info on what to look for in hay. My neighbor has cows and horses so I will get some hay from him and see if the girls like it. It feels great to be able to come here and ask a question and have others help. There is still a lot I have to learn about the girls but I feel with this forum I´m off to a good start. We gave them a little spinach today and they liked it. Anyway thanks again.

Jennifer