Microchipping Guinea Pigs

pig party

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, I think I'd have more problems taking them in the other direction, ie back into the UK.

My biggest hassle with Greek customs (which I obviously sorted out before hand) was repeatedly being asked 'what's a guinea pig?' I still don't think it's what they were expecting when they turned up - I think they thought they were royalty when they arrived first class!!

My husband grumbled all the way about having less leg room than the critters ;)

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

hahaha, I had to ship my babies pet safe cargo.

Brambles

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 am

How did your piggies do during and after the travel? Were they all okay, not too stressed?

I might need to travel from South-America to Europe some time soon... I always figured I'd have to leave my guinea pigs behind with family here, but maybe not.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am

No they were fine. They ate all the hay and food that I put in the cage before I dropped them off, the airline fed them twice for me and they we popcorning and squeaking when I put them into their cages upon arriving "home". They never stopped eating and never had any soft poops. The airline did a great job!

pig party

Post   » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:09 am

My piggies were all fine with the whole affair. Their only complaint was that they couldn't have hay on the flight, but the longest flight was just over three hours and they were so busy perusing the menu up there in first class, I don't think they were overly bothered!

They did have both food (the carriers had bowls screwed into the floor) and water the whole way. Every time I checked on them they were scoffing!!

adoptionguy

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Let me offer a contrasting viewpoint.

I run a guinea pig rescue in Canada. I am the co-director with my wife.

My wife is at a pet store today showcasing the pigs we have available. She does this often. She just sent me a text message asking me if I remembered a particular pig we adopted-out about six or so months ago.

The short version of the story is that the pig was again in front of her. The owner didn't bring him back. Somebody completely unknown to us found it in a box on the side of the road. We're in Canada. The temperature last night was below freezing.

Based on the location that the pig was discovered, and our photographs of the pig, we are ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SURE this is the same pig.

But because the pig is not chipped, the SPCA won't do a damn thing.

I would love NOTHING MORE than to spend my Saturday on the former adopters' doorstep with empirical proof of animal abandonment with two SPCA officers behind me. But I can't. Because the pig isn't chipped.

Trust me. I get the viewpoints of all the people who have posted. *I* don't want to chip pigs either. But right now there is nothing I would like more than to go back in time and get that pig chipped before we adopted him out. He didn't deserve to be left on the side of the road in a shoebox. He's lucky to be alive.

I get it. You don't see the point when your pigs are in confined in your homes. I get it. But it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 pm

A very sad story! I can understand your wish to chip those guinea pigs you adopt out.