Sexing baby guinea pigs

JX4

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Don't be afraid to ask your vet to sex the babies, and ask him if there will be a charge to do so. If he knows you are likely to be a repeat customer (and shouldn't you be, since you have all those guinea pigs?!?), and if he's smart, he'll do it for free.

Serenlyn

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks Everyone! I will call the vet tomorrow! I need to have the money when I get paid to get him fixed :) If we had 2 girls and 2 boys - I would just do separate cages, but I am not 100% of the sexes yet. They all look like the same sex to me :(

I have not had any previous pigs to the vet so I only have a regular (non exotic vet for my cats).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 pm

If you choose to neuter any of them, you will need a skilled vet with lots of experience neutering guinea pigs.

JX4

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:57 pm

YES find a vet who has done guinea pig neuters before. Don't let an experienced vet neuter him!!!!

Complications are easy to develop, especially when the vet is inexperienced. I had an established vet for our dogs and cat that I had been seeing for over 20 years. But my first visit with them with our male guinea pig when he sneezed, they didn't even catch that he was a male. Of course, he did have ambiguous genitalia, as I said above, but they didn't really look very hard.

I called around and asked various vets for recommendations for a vet that knew guinea pigs. When I kept hearing the same one over and over again, that's the one I went to, and it was very worth it.

Serenlyn

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks Everyone!! As of today when I checked the babies - when pressing on one, something popped out! I did all 3 and the other 2 still nothing. I am thinking I have 2 girls and one boy. I will check everyday as I have to take male out this coming weekend. I am not fixing the male, I have started a new cage to keep males together :) I was afraid before I had all girls and he would not have anyone :( He is great being next to them, but I moved him where he could not see them this past weekend and he climbed right out!! He is great when he can sniff them through the divider :) Anyhow, he will have a friend this weekend.

Serenlyn

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

Baby boy is in with daddy! They turned 3 weeks yesterday!!

If I do neuter, I have a highly recommended vet in my area for exotics. We are keeping one girl and my sister is taking a girl.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Glad to hear you got things sorted out!

Serenlyn

Post   » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Lynx wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:58 pm Glad to hear you got things sorted out!
Thanks! Houdini (the baby boy) has been with daddy for a little over a week! They get along :) My sister is taking Coco ,a girl, this weekend and then mommy will have Freckles to hang out with (the other girl).

JX4

Post   » Wed May 03, 2017 12:50 am

So glad you are working things out. Dad and baby boy should do well together, though things might get a little hairy when the baby goes through adolescence. Don't be surprised if he gets snotty with Dad (like all teenagers of most species do) and you see scuffles. He should mellow out after a few months. Our snottiest teen (Squeaky, a female) who started scuffles with everyone and even copped an attitude with me is now one pretty mellow and loving with me and all her herd. It's just getting through the teen times that can cause a little anxiety on your part.