Should I be worried?

RKelly

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:56 pm

I've had RKelly for a couple of months. He eats his veggies in the kitchen (he's pretty much free range). Last night and the night before he flopped down after he was finished eating, stayed there at least 30 minutes. It's odd because he's never done that before and he only does it at dinner time. Normally he either comes over for some chin scratches or runs back "home" to eat hay. Eating, drinking, and pooping normally. Eyes and nose clear. Am I just paranoid or do we need to go to the vet? I'm new to this and terrified I'll miss something.

Cactus Fuzz

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:29 pm

You say he is eating his veggies before this happens, but you don't say how much he is eating.

Is it possible that he is suffering from a food coma?! Of course it depends on how he is flopping, but it could well be that he has a very full belly, and after being with you for a few months is comfortable enough to "flop".

After having my girls a few months, I noticed that their sleeping positions became more and more relaxed than when they first moved in. Now when they have a belly full of hay, pellets, veggies or a combination of these, they will want to sleep it off and repeat the whole cycle again.

I hope it isn't anything more serious than a belly full of food, but it might be worth a vet visit to put you mind at ease. Especially if he hasn't been to the vet before - it is good to get him registered, meet your local vet and get a little health check on your little guy. That way you can assess his overall health as a starting point for any future vet visits.

Let us know how he gets on!

RKelly

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

It's probably a food coma. He gets around 3/4 cup twice a day. Sometimes a bit more since he eats around the stem and any veiny(sp?) parts. Lots of lettuce leaf carcasses lol. Not sure how much hay he eats but the feeder rack gets topped off multiple times a day. If he's kicking his legs out and giving me dirty looks when I check on him is that a good thing?

Cactus Fuzz

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm

3/4 of a cup twice a day sounds like he may be having a few too many veggies. Suggested amounts are one cup per day
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

I imagine if you are like me and occasionally provide additional veg if your little one demands it, you could be providing even more veg on a daily basis than you think!!!

And be warned: by cutting down on the veg, you will get even more dirty looks, and you will be yelled at!!

RKelly

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm a sucker when it comes to his highness. Getting pretty used to the dirty looks. When I steal his poo, dirty look. Veggies not cut properly, dirty look. But he only yells if his plate is veggie less. Guess he's not completely abusive. It's really sad something so small can turn two adults into slaves lol. I'll gradually cut down on his vegs, maybe he won't notice and pee on me while I sleep. Now if I can get him to move his fat butt some more. Don't think running to and from food is really exercise.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:08 pm

I don't recall people describing their pigs being in a food coma after eating.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 pm

He has complete access to a good quality hay, yes? It might be that he is just finally getting comfortable around you and with his new environment. So he ate and then rested. It does not sound like something to be worried about.

RKelly

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 am

Plenty of Oxbow timothy and Oxbow botanical. I'm thinking he may be doing it to guilt me into giving him kale or parsley. He did it again tonight and when I opened the fridge he perked right up. Flopped on his side when he didn't get anything different. Tried giving him a green pepper off his plate, gave me the stink eye and went to his pigloo for a nap.

RKelly

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm

New question. Everything's good with Rkelly , weight etc. About 15 minutes ago I noticed the fur on his nose was sticking up and pretty crunchy. Wasn't there a hour ago. No sneezing. He's actually been pretty frisky today. Tried to wipe it off to get a better look at things. It's not coming off. It's really in there and kind of an off white color. If it was snot would it come off? Boar glue maybe?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Could definitely be boar glue, especially if it appeared suddenly and won't come off. Just let it be -- he'll eventually get it off if it bothers him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Hmmm, the mysterious boar glue.

Since I only ever had girls, I was never introduced to the wonders of boar glue.

RKelly

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:52 pm

And now it's under his chin lol