Where can we buy Timothy Hay in bulk? In RI?

coolnsvs

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:59 am

Where can we buy Timothy Hay in bulk? In RI?

I usually buy from Petco but I was told we can get some bulk Hay.

Thanks,
Surya

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:37 am

Sometimes you can order large quantities of Oxbow or Kaytee, and KMS hayloft hays online, however, I have noticed that many local farmers sell bulks of leftover hay to guinea pig owners for much cheaper. Pickier pigs tend to reject this though. You could also just buy the large rolls the farmers sell for horses if you have the room for it. Just make sure no pesticides are used and it is the right kind of hay! Always ask about the quality when it comes to local farmers. I hope I could be of help and good luck with your search!

P.S. I do not know how many local farmers Rhode Island has. I am from Georgia so they are VERY abundant. Online is available everywhere though so that shouldn't be a problem.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:04 am

DON"T buy Kaytee hay in any size if you can find another alternative. All their products are low quality.

The cheapest place to buy hay is from a local farmer. I doubt New Jersey raises a lot of hay, but there are horse farms there, and those horses need hay. You could google some up and call and ask where they get their hay. If it's timothy hay without alfalfa mixed in, it's suitable for guinea pigs.

Failing that, you can order online. It's much more expensive than local hay, but still only 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of buying hay in small packages at the pet store. Sweet Meadow Farm is on the East Coast, so the shipping would be less than some other places. Many of us buy from Small Pet Select, and American Pet Diner has awesome hay.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:43 am

Sorry Bpatters and coolnsvs! I hadn't realized it was that bad. I just know a few people who order it for their Piggies in bulk and I use their pellets

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:43 am

You might want to read over hay.html too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm

@kailaeve1271, Kaytee pellets aren't very good, and are high in calcium.

afdani1984

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:35 am

Drs Foster and Smith sells the 50lb boxes of Oxbow. They frequently have sales, and it qualifies for free shipping. I'm currently mixing Oxbow and a bale of 1st cut timothy from a local farmer.

BeckieL

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am

the quality difference between the pet store hay I had originally and the 10 lb bag of the Small Pet Select 2nd cutting hay is significant. My pig loves the SPS hay. I went to a local Tractor Supply Store and they had hay also. I may try from there next time.

Ct daffodil

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 am

Check out Sweet Meadow Farms online. They're in Mass and will ship to you. You can try a smaller bag - I get it at agway.