Average price to neuter a guinea pig?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 pm

If I recall right, the highest I've paid was $480 for Lucky with a stone baby in her, spayed when removed. Included was x-rays, surgery done by laser, and 4 post meds with sub-q's and some sort of vet or room fee waived ($55 or $65). That was in Missouri some years ago.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat May 06, 2017 9:20 pm

The vet I've seen has done it before and imthat price doesn't cover the anesthesia as well. It also doesn't cover any complications that may happen which would cost more. Should I still be iffy about them?

JX4

Post   » Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 pm

How many guinea pig neuters has s/he done? Complications are common, though not always life-threatening. But if the vet has only done one or two guinea pig neuters, I'd see if I could find one who has more experience. I'd just do the male in any case.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat May 06, 2017 11:56 pm

I had no idea she took guinea pigs until a local pet store told me when I was buying hay. She claims to have done around 30 which seems like a lot considering how few pig owners I have nearby, but then I found out she fixes all the animals at a local no-kill shelter and they are prone to getting rabbits and the occasional pig (of course rarely any when I was actually looking for some -_-) I've noticed they've gotten a rise in the amount of roents they've had lately so I'm assuming she's been doing more.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 07, 2017 11:29 am

Ask her about successful outcomes. Not just surviving the surgery. If she does them for the shelter, they would still need some amount of post op care and you want to know a truthful success rate. Infections in neuters can develop later (in one very rare case, it developed a year later! I would not count this one against that vet).