New friend for single piggy?

Ct daffodil

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 am

Last night we lost our dearest Rosey. Now Dixie is all alone at 5.5 years.
What should we be looking for in the next few days/weeks? Depression, loneliness?
My son doesn't want to get another just yet (he's heartbroken about the loss of his piggy). The other son doesn't want his piggy being lonely. Dixie doesn't really care for other animals and I'm afraid it will be stressful for her to adjust to a younger roomie.

Any one have advice?.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 2:14 pm

You might want to read over alone.html

I'm sorry you lost Rosey.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 2:50 pm

I know gerbils are not the same a pigs but they do have things in common such as the need for a companion and being extremely docile creatures. When our gerbils brother died he mourned for a few days and then became depressed. Eventually after he began warming up my brother gave him more attention during his sudden mourning moments and he became violent. I've also noticed my pigs are stressed when separated. I would still interact with your pig but give her space. I would read over the link Lynx gave you and also give your pig a little more space for at least a week and gradually get her used to extra attention. I honestly think that after an animal is given a chance to mourn they are more accepting to their new playmates. I would wait until your pig is finished morning possibly after a month to get another pig. That way she isn't lonely but she has a friend. Also sibling animals are known to pass away around the same time so watch for signs of illness in your Dixie in case something ran in their family. I'm so sorry for your loss

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 4:19 pm

In contrast to kailaeve1271's advice, I would give your guinea pig lots of attention vs. avoiding them for a week. Sometimes a stuffed toy can help.

JX4

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 4:59 pm

I think I'd go with Lynx and give your piggy extra TLC. But do also watch your remaining pig very closely for signs of illness.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 6:49 pm

I'd get another pig quickly, myself. If you don't want to take another on permanently, you might find a rescue that you can foster for. Rescues often have sanctuary pigs, and having someone care for one of those for a while might be a help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 05, 2017 8:36 pm

A new companion is certainly a great solution. There are so many rescued guinea pigs needing homes.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat May 06, 2017 7:28 am

I in no way meant ignore your pig. I was just saying allow it to morn and give it some space for a while. How would you like it if something tragic happened and then people where on top of you all the time? It promotes stress. Of course don't ignore your pig I just meant don't overwhelm them

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 06, 2017 9:16 am

Pigs aren't people. And we don't know whether they "mourn" or not. But we do know that pigs who are suddenly solo do perk up, eat more, move more, interact more if they're given a new buddy quickly.

hailtothen

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 6:53 am

We had two bonded pigs around the same age who had been together for the majority of their lives and lost one not that long ago as well. So sorry you lost Rosey. We also had the same questions that you did afterwards. We decided to wait about a week before looking for a new friend for Blondie and in the meantime gave him plenty of attention, TLC, and a little stuffy that he would lay against in his house with. Because he was older we spent the time going around to many different places to try and find him the perfect match and ended finding a very low key and chill buddy for him. They are getting along just great. If you keep personalities in mind while you are looking and try to find another pig that compliments yours there is a more of a chance it could work out and be a very low stress transition for Rosie. Blondie did pretty good in his solo week but he did visibly perk up when we brought the new guy home. Another option is looking at shelters in your area as they sometime have senior piggies who are looking for a nice home to live out their final years and if available could make a suitable buddy for your pig as well. So sorry you lost Rosie.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue May 09, 2017 7:11 am

I'm very sorry for your loss. The best advice is already written above so I won't repeat it. Just know that my thoughts are with you and your little one.