Mouse poo in hay...

heykids

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:58 am

I used to buy the Pure Pastures Meadow Hay from Mole Country Stores but unfortunately I had some very dodgy batches - the hay was sometimes damp, even wet and mouldy. I started to buy my hay from a local farm shop and have been impressed - this hay is soft, green and smells lovely. However, today I was going through it and have found mouse droppings in the first 2 bags (we bought 10 bags). Presumably I'm going to have to throw it away?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Can you contact the farm shop about this? Perhaps they will replace it and also check their stock?

heykids

Post   » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:02 pm

I'll give them a call to see what they say. I think they certainly need to be made aware of the issue.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Unfortunately, the way hay is baled, it can get things baled up in it during the gathering process (bugs, etc). It is often unavoidable. Also, barns are notorious for harboring vermin. You might be able to shake the mouse poo out by holding handfuls of it over a wastebasket (or outside). If it's not stuck to the hay, it may come out easily. I think I would be tempted to try it if the hay is as nice as you say. Even if one or two are missed, I'm not sure the guinea pigs would ingest them and if they are dried, they probably don't pose a great risk of transmitting disease.