Training a Guinea Pig

hamsterface200

Post   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 am

I was just being curious and was wondering if you can train a guinea pig to do things like only use the bathroom in one corner like potty training them. Is that possible?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm

I moved your question to Cavy Chat, where it will get more answers.

Most guinea pigs will not learn to use a litter pan. My girls would have their "favorite areas" of the C&C cage, and I would change the bedding in those areas more frequently.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:30 am

I think it's up to the pigs. I have one who drops it anywhere and another who mainly uses the hay box. My third and fourth have their favorite corners.

Coco-Pepe Mom

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:43 pm

My two piggies (have only had for two weeks, from a rescue) have found "favorite" corners to go in. Mostly, though, they go in the carefresh paper litter area I have by their hay rack. The rest of the cage is fleece/uhaul liner and they don't go there very often...but sometimes.

JX4

Post   » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Mine go wherever they happen to be at any given time. They flat do not care where they drop their poo or pee -- I find pellets throughout the cage area, but there are more of them in the hay lofts. They do try to not pee on us when we hold them, though, so there's that, lol.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 am

I placed a large rabbit litter tray in their favorite corner of the cage. I put a smaller ferret litter tray where their hay is. Both are corner trays. I put my pigs one shavings for about a week and a half. Then I switched them to fleece and left their trays filled with shavings. They now exclusively pee in the trays and mostly poop in there with an exception of the occasional accident. I also sprinkled a small amount of oxbow oat hay into the larger since I noticed they liked to per on it rather than eat it and I believe that helped. All pigs are different so don't expect it to 100% work for you. Some are filthy and some are tidy, it just depends on the pig. I also doubt you can have just one spot if you have an appropriate sized cage but hey, if you think your pigs can do it after they start showing progress then go for it! And keep me updated if you do please!

guineapiggirl05

Post   » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:51 pm

I have a litter box in one of my cages. The boys wee in it for the most part. I put some bedding in it, and that's were I have their hay. It all depends on the pigs.

Gia xoxo