Protection reminder

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 am

I've been seeing a number of things about folks protecting their dogs & cats from the upcoming eclipse, but nothing about for the other indoor animals, not even for feathers or scales. In particular, those that have a window close to them or access to seeing out of, specially from floor height. Please take a simple precaution measure and close blinds, hang up sheets if need to.
Remember, piggies can play statue so easy, and sleeping with eyes open? One can only guess at what sort of damage that could potentially happen to them, and their sight is poor enough as it is. Better not to risk it with such a easy thing to do.

Feel free to share the photo.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Thank you, WindeSpirit!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 am

Bump

Kimera

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 pm

I don't understand what you are afraid of. Eclipse reduces the amount of sunlight, not making it stronger or more dangerous in any way. Eye protection, for example, very dark glasses, are necessary only for curious people who want to look directly at the sun to observe the eclipse.
I haven't had the chance to see a total eclipse, but I have seen partial sun and moon eclipses several times. They are fun to watch, particularly large sun eclipses. One happened early in the morning and was extensive enough to make the day darker for a moment. Birds stopped their usual chirping and it was the most eerie experience.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Ditto Kimera. I can't see any possible danger in being next to a window unless the sun shines directly into it.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:37 am

I went out to see the eclipse. When I came back the pigs seemed fine.

crowcrash

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 am

For future reference: The concern is that because the light is more dim, animals will look up or stare at the sun because it doesn't hurt to look up at it. But it will still damage their eyes.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm

This is a bit late, but dark glasses won't protect the eyes unless the eclipse is in totality which lasts for a few seconds up to 2 min. At that point you need no protection. Talking here about people, not piggies. The entire time before & after totality you need special eclipse glasses with the silvery front. We were in the path of totality & the demand for these disposable glasses was intense.

I'm talking about looking directly at the sun.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:50 am

I am late as well, but I should let everyone know animals do not naturally look at the sky for no reason except if they sense a bird or something in a tree. Animals don't just stare at the sun. They just assume it is getting late outside. Trust me your animals are safe. I have 9 chickens and two dogs that were out during the eclipse. My neighbor had her horses, a deer and her dog outside. I have done an eye check on all of them. None were affected by the eclipse. Animals just don't think the same as we do about that kind of thing because it does not interest them. The animal's instinct is to survive and thrive. Our instinct is to explore and learn more. No offense to anyone though. We can all believe in what we want to I just wanted to give out facts that have been researched and that I have seen with my own eyes :)

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:57 pm

To answer, what I am afraid of during eclipses? A piggy who normally sleeps in their safe and happy sunny spot suddenly starts bumping into things as if she had a stroke. Unless any one of the tests afterwards came back a false negative, which was unlikely. The vets only other conclusion was to ask about the partial eclipses, access to sun & exact day it started, that was both positive. We could only figure that the lack of sun allowed whatever natural instincts for her eye to look towards the sun, and assumed she was asleep when it happened since that would have been the ideal position, not to mention the position she usually was in, while in her sunning spot. Perhaps the shadow on her made her think I was standing outside and her eye naturally gravitated? I did it often enough other times, why would that day be any different to her. I've also witnesses that with 2 small dogs, waking up to a shadow on them and they look up, probably thinking someone was standing back there. (I heard about that happening to other dogs when I was a kid which is what the worry probably stems from, I remember a farmer saying certain animals had to go in to the barn that day too, I don't recall which).

The point is, there are times where enough of circumstances happen that can get a animal to look up. Granite, it's probably a 1 in million ratio, but who wants to be that one. From my experience and what I remember hearing as a kid, every time sleeping was also involved somehow. Eyes can not focus on a full sun, so there is not as much of a chance of eye damage day in and day out. With reduced sun, eyes may take a moment before the brain cries alarm to look away and that is all it takes. If one sleeps with their eyes open, or being a "statue" for a minute? Again, I have to say, why take the risk when closing the shades for one single day is so easy and simple to do?

BTW, the piggy I was speaking about above was our Cotton princess. She lived a long and happy life, though she didn't sunbath as much the following 4-5 years, I ended up having to get a sun lamp.