Nail clipping failures

Bettina

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi, I am a first time guinea pig owner and really excited to finally have my two piggies. We (me and my husband) adopted a rescue guinea pig, short haired 7 months-old boy, Patch (he is half black, half white, really sweet) about a month and a half ago. We also adopted another guinea pig from a friend who could not look after his guinea pig anymore, this young little one is 3 months old, I think he is an Agouti-coloured guinea pig, his name is Cinnamon. At the moment they live is two separate cages indoors and are doing really well. Patch is going to the vets on Monday for a check-up as I am constantly worried about him, I have just noticed he has a lot of dandruff, not flakes but white spots in his black hair near his bottom, so I want that checked out. I am afraid he might have mites or lice. I checked his skin and there are no marks, sore spots or redness. He also sneezes and scratches quite a lot. But anyway, we will see what the vet says about skin infection and URI, other than these worries, he is a happy boy, eating well, drinking, playing, running around, exploring.
I feel really desperate and sad because I have been trying to cut his nails with little success. He always wiggles, runs away, pulls his paws away, jumps away etc and I do not want to hurt him. I managed to cut his front nails using a carrot but everytime I touch his back legs, he gets skittish and pulls his feet away. I feel I really failed him and worry that he might hurt himself because his nails are really long now. I have tried lots of different methods after extensive hours of research and watching videos, but he gets out of the towel and it scares him too much. He does not stand still when I give him veggie treats and is always active and exploring. I am running out of ideas so if anyone could give me any advice, It would be much appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Put him in your lap with his back to your abdomen. Hold his foot FIRMLY in your hand and cut his nails. You're not going to hurt him.

It also works to have one person hold the pig and apply the carrot to its mouth while the other person clips.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:04 pm

It will get better. Both your pigs are really young yet, in the wiggly, snot-nosed stage. Don't feel bad about being nervous as far as the nails go. And no, you haven't failed them. Have the vet trim their nails when you are there (take them both and get them both trimmed, even though only one pig is going for a well check). They are not used to being handled and are still probably getting used to a new home environment. It takes a lot of patience and time. Eventually, they should start getting more used to it. Do get someone to help you at first, like bpatters says. In addition to the pigs being wiggly, you are afraid that your going to hurt them, either by holding them too tightly or by not cutting the nail accurately. That's something every new guinea pig owner has to deal with. Haha, when baby pigs scream at the top of their lungs, it SOUNDS like they are getting killed, right? That's what the little snots WANT you to think!

Bettina

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Hello guys! Thank you for your messages! I just felt so bad and after talking to my husband, we called the vet and he will cut both of their nails and will show us how to do it safely and properly. My husband has some free time now so we can practise together. How often do we have to cut the nails to keep it nicely trimmed, every two weeks, every month? I think this whole thing is mostly in my head as I'd never hurt the piggies and I know they feel happy most of the time but when they run away/wiggle and scream that is a really scary experience. Thanks again!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

It depends on the pigs. Young pigs need their nails trimmed more often than older ones. I have two sows of undetermined age, but at least five, and I only have to trim their nails about every four months.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Pippin shrieked and went limp when I cut his toenails. I was sure I'd killed him.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 pm

This isn't exactly a total solution, but make sure they're eating something they like. The first time I clipped my guinea pigs' nails, I distracted them with carrot pieces and they went CRAZY! Turns out they aren't big carrot fans. Now, I give them bell pepper. It's not usually a "treat" food but my piggies will munch on it and let me do 3 nails at a time in between fidgeting and screaming.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 am

I clip my pigs' nails weekly. I distract one of my pigs with lettuce and cover her eyes with my arm. When she doesn't look, she generally doesn't freak out. My other pig doesn't even flinch when I clip her nails. She almost seems to love a good pedicure and of course, she gets a little treat at the end for being good. I have never clipped their nails (the again I've clipped nails of dogs and rabbits and I've even trimmed horses feet). You have to be ready for jerky movements and watch the quick!

greysome

Post   » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:42 pm

I started all my girls with the burrito method when clipping their nails using a hand or tea towel and usually only allowing the paw/foot I'm clipping to be free from it. Even now, I burrito them first when I plan to clip their nails though only one (I have four girls) actually remains burritoed for nail clippings. The other three girls are really only burritoed right before nail clippings as I think they've come to associate being burritoed with nail clippings and it serves as a heads up. For the most part, I think I'll clip nails between every 2 weeks to month and a half or so for the piggies, depending on their needs (my girls range from under a year to ~3 or 4 years old)

My oldest girl Winnie will just sit/stand there and let me maneuver her whichever way for clippings without complaint (she's a laid back pig in general but also came to me with crazy long nails and curly nails..after weeks of constant trims/clips, we finally got her nails to a reasonable length and I think she appreciates not having nails dig into her when walking..) My next two girls need to have their front paws held when it's being clipped (none of my girls seem to notice or care about me clipping their legs), though for different reasons. Daisy needs her front paws held because she seems to think even if she has three paws on the ground, having the fourth in the air for more than a couple of seconds is proof the sky is falling and she needs to dig out a bunker or something. Daisy also gets a baby carrot halfway through nail clipping because she gets fussy if she's held for more than a couple of minutes. Rosie doesn't care what you do so long as she is being properly snuggled (read: you are contorting yourself into uncomfortable positions to make her think she has melted into you) her and remember to talk and give her a couple of good pets/ear rubs every now and then but she's a peruvian and I can't always see her nails between all the fur.

Ellie Roo is my youngest (and is, I think, the same age as your Patch) and is still very wiggly. She's the only one who actually needs to be burritoed and also needs to be facing me while I'm clipping her front paws....she also needs at least one break between each paw to be petted and cooed over.

I find most of my girls are more likely to scream bloody murder when you cut close too close to the quick than if you accidentally cut into the quick.

Mousewife

Post   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 am

JaneDoe wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:40 pm Pippin shrieked and went limp when I cut his toenails. I was sure I'd killed him.
Is it horrible that this made me laugh out loud?

If Binky is being especially difficult, I use a manicure drill. He doesn't like it any better than nail clippers, but at least I don't have to worry about getting the quick.

I find his back paws easier because he can't see me. That makes a difference. I stick a plate of salad on my lap, wrap him up in fleece, pull out the one paw I need and try do it fast.

Sometimes I give him a break of 20-30 minutes between nails.

In short, I treat him the way I had to treat my daughter when she was 1-2 years old and convinced the nail clippers were the devils death. 🙄