Fleece Bedding?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 pm

I was just wondering if you can use fleece bedding in "normal" cages. I have seen it used mostly in C&C cages but my cage is large enough (8 square feet) that it takes considerable time to put in and smooth out all of the bedding (not to mention how much bedding it takes!).

Thanks!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Yes, an 8 square foot cage is large enough to use fleece in it.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks! I'm planning on making the fleece pads myself so I wanted to make sure it would work before I make a bunch of them.

3_lil_piggies

Post   » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:11 pm

We have an 8 sq foot cage with a 1.5 sq foot loft area, and we use fleece for all. Quadruple layers with puppy pads beneath for final odor and moisture absorption. Works great for us!

Coco-Pepe Mom

Post   » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:04 pm

I use fleece bedding in my 2-pig cage and it is so nice. I sewed pads out of two layers of fleece with 2 layers of u-haul pads in between. Then, because my piggies like to destroy the cage when they are playing, I added a cotton sheet "pocket" on the back side (side that goes to bottom of cage) for a piece of cardboard. It absorbs liquid (bonus) and they cannot flip the pad all over and hide under it. I do keep the area (about 1/4 of the cage floor) near their hay and water bottle lined with paper grocery bags (lay flat) with Carefresh bedding over the top. This acts as their "litter" box and they pee more there than on the fleece pad.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Just curious, how long do pads with two Uhaul pads take to dry after washing? And can you do just one pad?

Nuoc Mam

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 am

It dries really quick. I usually hang dry them outside for a few hours 3-4 hours but the weather where I live is 75-85 degrees.

Coco-Pepe Mom

Post   » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:22 pm

I have two sets of pads for my pigs...that way a new one can go in the cage while the other is being washed. Before I sewed my pads, I washed the fleece and uhaul pads several times in hot water, then dried on high in the dryer (to pre-shrink them) with NO fabric softener or softener sheets. If you use softener, it reduces the fabric's absorbancy.

I wash the pads and other cage items in one load together now...on hot water setting. Then I place them all on a drying rack and they are dry in a couple hours.

I hope this helps!