Being a Guinea Pig Owner in Beijing

strawberryai

Post   » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 am

@Lynx I see, thank you! Are there any other users that you know in China/Beijing?

strawberryai

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:19 am

How far away are you guys' vets? How long does it take to get there?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 am

Thirty miles or so. Up to an hour, or more, depending on traffic.

strawberryai

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 am

@bpatters do you always get there in time? How do you keep them warm in the winter when you get them to the vet?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:11 am

Nearly on time, most of the time. I just leave early. The traffic demons in Houston know when I make a call to the vet and gleefully arrange for there to be at least one traffic jam between me and the vet, if not more. I don't think I've ever been there that I didn't get stuck in traffic on the way, although I can go to other establishments in that area with no problem.

There's no public transportation here, so I just warm the car up. No problem. But they tolerate cold a lot better than they tolerate heat, unless they're skinnies, so stuffing some fleece in a carrier should be fine if you're taking a bus or train.

Sunset_Piggy

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:18 am

Well I remember when we first took our Pig to the vet we got caught in a Thunderstorm and a 1 hour Car Drive turned into a 4 1/2 hour car drive. Reason being is that many cars didn't pull over and and their was about 3 inches of standing water on the Highway not to include a bunch of cars were hydroplaning.

strawberryai

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 am

@bpatters Ohmy! That must be really annoying, especially when you really need to get your guinea pig to the vet! Thank you for the advice!

strawberryai

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 am

@Sunset_Piggy Wow that's really scary! Did you get there on time? :(