Introducing Guinea Pigs

mad002

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new to owning guinea pigs (I got 2 babies about a month and a half ago!) and I have some questions!

My husband and I have 2 female guinea pigs, Almond and Peanut (3 and 3-1/2 months old). They have been together almost their whole lives, so they are pretty well bonded. We recently made the decision to adopt a male guinea pig Jasper who is 2 years old. We saw him on a small animal rescue site and we just fell in love. He still has yet to be neutered, so it will be a while before I am actually able to introduce him to the girls, but I was just looking for some advice on the matter! I have expanded my cage, created 2 hay areas with separate pellets and water bottles for them in the cage. I just assume that our newest guinea pig will pull rank because he is MUCH bigger than the girls, older, and male. As experienced guinea pig owners, do any of you foresee any issues that could arise in this introduction scenario? I just can't find much online about this kind of combination. Usually people are introducing younger guinea pigs rather than the other way around! Thanks in advance!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm

He may pull rank for a little while, but in most male-female pairings I know about, the female has the upper hand.

See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for info on introductions.