Piggy cage..DIY?

Aidenswings

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi fellow piggy owners! I have 2 adult male gpigs that are fighting over space in their current habitat. It is a good cage, easy to clean, on wheels off the grpund and it is cleaned every week. These 2 roomies have fought here and the4e as siblings do, but lately it has gotten more a ggressive. Chasing, trying to nip ears,etc..teeth chattering loudly etc. The cage was listed as XL but um..it is about 37 ins in length and each piggy has its own hideaway hut. So hardly room for their 2 food dishes! U take them out in a large play pen meant for puppies but I use it for them. Just to givw them space to exercise( though they tend to just lay down. Anyway, so I want to get them a larger cage, however even the cages online( petco, amazon, wayfair) that are listed as XL and affordable are not much bigger at all! So my question is, has anyone put together a cage themselves using cheap materials thst can be found at say homedepot? I just dfon't kniw what I cpuld use that would be big enough, safe, and easy enough to clean. Any ideas?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Check out information on building DIY "cube and coroplast" cages at:
https://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 pm

The cage isn't large enough.

See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/th ... -materials for where to find the materials for C&C cages.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Home Depot has a wonderful aisle of shelving materials. The coated wire shelving comes in various sizes and they will cut it for you as well. I have built cages out of it. You still need a sheet of coroplast to make the floor however, but you can buy coroplast from a sign maker's shop. Just be sure to tell them that you want to use it for making animal cages or they might think you are trying to make your own signs from it.

I would look into making the cage bigger as quickly as you can before your pigs get hurt. You may have to separate them for a bit. So make your cage big enough to put a partition in that will give each pig enough living space if that has to be done.

Oh, you will also need plastic zip ties to fasten together the four pieces of wire shelving. Those are in the electrical section of Home Depot.