10 month old boar scared of EVERYTHING

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:49 am

Hey guys!

I've tried to find some info about this, but it's always concerning a new/baby guinea pig or a pig that has gone through a change of environment/cage mate. My pig, however, is a 10 month old boar with a very stable life who just won't... thrive. I know they can have very different personalities, but this feels abnormal.

My pig
- Will almost never leave his house
- Will not move around during floor time (immediately finds a hidey place and just sits there)
- Will not run away when I pick him up
- Will hardly even move during lap time
- Is super laid-back and submissive with my other boars
- Is very small (hovers around 800 g)
- Appears weak, non-athletic, couldn't jump up on a house even if he tried (which he would NEVER do)
- Is a picky eater
- Is very quiet and non-vocal

He is quite small but not thin. He does sadly have the typical "show" body with a short nose, low back/butt, high set broad shoulders and round eyes. He has a very luxurious long, thick and shiny coat too. All clear during vet check-ups.

I don't know. Heart problems? Blindness? Depression? Scurvy? Genetics? Sometimes when I pick him up it's obvious he hasn't moved for a very long time since he is covered in pee and surrounded by his poops. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:47 am

Can he see?

Have you had him in to a good exotic vet for a check-up?

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:45 am

I know he can see at least a little, but thats all I can say. I have suspicions that he might be visually impaired. The vet I go to is the best exotics vet in southern sweden (for what it's worth). I have only had him in for regular check-ups, because he's been so small and was growing slowly. I've never had a blind/semi blind pig. What can I do to make him more comfortable and not so sad?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:51 pm

How shiny is his coat? Do you think he might be a satin? How about remove his house. Is he picked on by the other boars? Do you think he needs some alone time to feel safe and explore? www.guinealynx.info/coat.html

It sounds like something is wrong to me.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:48 pm

He has a very smooth coat but I don't think he's a satin. Around the face especially the hairs are thicker and more rough, as I understand it satins are incredibly soft to the touch. But the thought has crossed my mind as well since he is so small and was not growing properly.

If I remove his house he is somewhat more active and does not seem to startle when I approach him. He just sits there. He is picked on quite a lot by his hyper cage mate and doesn't really fight back unless he absolutely has to. I have never tried keeping him separated with his own space, he seems to find comfort in other pigs, even if they are cruel to him. If he is alone during floor time he is absolutely lost. He will crawl back up into my hands and sit there, or find a hidey and just stay there for HOURS.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:07 am

Is there another boar he might be paired with that wouldn't harass him so?

I think I'd want a good vet evaluation. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I do know it's not normal.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:34 am

I tried putting up bars between him and his cage mate, just to see how he would react. He seems much more content and is eating like crazy. I would not like to separate them permanently as I often find them sleeping in the same house and they seem very bonded when they are not bickering. His cage mate is currently in his worst "teenage angst" period which adds tension.

I'll make a vet appointment tomorrow, I'm thinking I'll press hard for dentals and X-rays. Maybe bloodwork? Sadly even the most highly recommended vet around here requires that you are very tough with them and demand thourough examinations. I've had guinea pigs with heart problems treated for pneumonia more times than I'm comfortable with because they just won't listen in time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:42 am

Are there any wonderful and desired treats (leafy vegetable bits) that he would walk over to get? That you could encourage him to explore looking for in a small area to get him moving? What does his pea look like? Cloudy? Gritty? Any signs of pain? Any difficulty walking?

I am sorry to hear you do not have a lot of confidence in your vet (with reason). But I guess ruling out things is also extremely important. Let us know what the xrays show.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am

I'll run down to the store later and buy some new veggies. Like I said he is a hopeless picky eater and will tire of anything I have at home for too long. I haven't checked his pee so I'll do that when he is out exploring. (If he takes the bait.)

I don't like the way he walks, his belly drags on the ground and he presses up against walls as if he is terrified. I tried feeling his body condition under all the fur and he doesn't like me touching his hindquarters. He has little to no muscle mass there. I may be imagining things but I think his breathing is slightly laboured at times. He's also been a nibbler and chewer all his life. He will nip at your fingers and neck when you hold him, and sometimes I find him chewing on bedding or the bars.

I've given him a small dose of metacam today, just to see if it perks him up. Then I'll know for sure if he is in pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Marvenpimp

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:19 am

It's not looking good. It seems as though he has a birth defect, kind of like a hernia, and he's all scrambled inside with his liver inside the chest cavity. It's operable in theory, but to the knowledge of my vet an operation of that magnitude has never been done on a guinea pig in Sweden.

We're going to get an ultra sound and second opinion from a cardiologist in a nearby town. But my vet says it's only to make sure, and nothing can be done. She recommends putting him down If that's the case, since having your organs scrambled inside of you is most likely incredibly painful.

I don't know what to do, this is my FOURTH pig in a row with a genetic illness. I don't know how many more times I can stand the grief and guilt that euthanasia brings me.

If anyone has any idea of what to do with a pig with a stomach hernia, please let me know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 am

This sounds lo unusual. This was diagnosed via an xray? Do you have anything you could email me and I could post it here?

I am glad you are getting a second opinion. Seems incredible.