Re-introducing two male pigs

Christina4l

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:57 pm

I recently got 2 male pigs. They're both only a few months old. They were living happily together but Scout got sick and we've had them separated for almost 2 weeks until we know he is 100% better (I don't want to spread anything). They're cages are next to eachother so they know the other is there. We tried to put them back together again briefly today (on neutral ground, just caged on the kitchen floor) and they immediately started chattering their teeth at eachother and their hair raised and they began to get aggressive so we separated them and put them back in their individual cages.
What should we do? We want them to live back together again and they seemed to like eachother a lot before. ):

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

You have to reintroduce them as if they'd never met before. See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

FWIW, I don't separate sick pigs unless it's something possibly fatal, or one is recovering from surgery or an injury and shouldn't be bothered/harassed. Almost always, by the time one pig is diagnosed, the other has been thoroughly exposed. I usually just watch carefully to catch any possible illness in the other pig early, so it can be treated.