Midwest Guinea Pig Cage Prop 65 Warning?

minnesota92

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently looking for Rabbit cages and noticed there is a Midwest cage kind of like the Midwest Guinea Pig cage, and saw there is California Proposition 65 warning on it. This is on walmart.com. So I went to check on the Midwest Guinea Pig Cage and it has one as well. I have never seen this before for this cage and I know us guinea pig owners are quite protective about them. Thoughts? I don't believe the actual Midwest website has the warning. Just saw it on Walmart.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:15 pm

I don't see the warning.

As I understand Prop 65, it has to do with chemicals that taint water and food. I'm not sure how that would apply to a rabbit cage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am

If the cage, say, has a galvanized coat on the wires, that might trigger the warning [guessing]. I almost think it is a blanket sort of thing that many products tack on to cover their bases.

minnesota92

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I was kind of thinking that too. Especially because of how well we take care of our pigs, I think there would be a warning among many, many pig websites to avoid such a thing. And I have never seen that. I wonder if it's harmful for animals or if it just pertains to us?

LittleSqueakers

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 pm

From what I've heard, the California Prop 65 has labeled just about everything as being potentially hazardous, from actual poisons down to organic salads. I think a lot of people have complained that the prop 65 label is so overused that it doesn't really mean anything anymore. I wouldn't worry about it.

greysome

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:38 pm

I don't think I've seen anything without the California Prop 65 warning on it. At this point, if it's plastic or anything synthetic, I just assume there'll be a tag with CA Prop 65 on it.

minnesota92

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:58 pm

I actually didn't end up liking the Midwest cage anyway and have a C&C cage coming from guineapigcages.com. Plus I like that you can do the barrier with the C&C because I think my new (young) pig drives my three-year-old a little insane sometimes!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Don't put barriers up unless one pig is being harassed to the point that it's losing weight.

lisam

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:46 pm

I don't like the Midwest cages. Occasionally they will work for a pair of older well established females, but I'd never use one for a pair of males. Wait, I think that one of my adopters did put two of them together for a pair, but I made sure they removed the dividers that have those little doors and just had open space.

minnesota92

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:58 am

I know. I always read so much about them, but I thought the set up didn't look nice and every time I bent over it felt like I would knock it over and I'm a small person!

Regarding the barrier, I'm not saying all the time. Also, my pig came to me in an aquarium, with a wheel, and a dried up strawberry. He was crossing over into an abusive situation if I had not taken him, so I think I've done quite a lot for him. I also just lost my girl pig, who he absolutely loved and within a week he got sick, so I think if the new pig is driving him a little bit nuts, he will be okay with taking a break considering he is much older and wasn't feeling well. He got sick because of the stress of losing her. My point is, you have to look at the whole picture. Not all pigs are made equal and not all come from the same backgrounds. The entire world of guinea pigs have come so far. My pig has had a great animal life and I cringe to think what would have happened to him if it weren't for me. I know my animal and a little time for him to sleep with some peace might not hurt him.