Informal poll: What do you think this means?

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I have two boars: Cisco, who is outgoing and friendly, and everyone in the whole family loves him, and Wynn, who is more withdrawn and dominant, and I'm the only one who pays him any attention.

I take care of both of them, so they have all the space, food, fresh water, and love they need to live happy lives. They both have learned to trust me and don't run away and hide anymore (most of the time) when I approach their area. I'm extra attentive and gentle with Wynn because I think he needs me more than Cisco does, but they both get adequate attention.

I've noticed lately that Wynn purrs a lot when I pet him. He never used to do this, but as I said, I've built my relationship with him and he seems to be warming to me. He dominates Cisco when they are in their enclosure together, rumblestrutting and (not so much now that they are getting older) trying to mount.

The purring he expresses when I'm petting him sounds very similar to the sound he makes when he's rumblestrutting in front of Cisco. I took that to be a warning sound. But when I'm petting him, he's relaxed and stretched out, sometimes closes his eyes when he does it.

So here is my question:

I have heard conflicting opinions about what it means when a cavy purrs. Some think it means, "Quit it, that annoys me." and some think it means, "Oh, that's nice."

In Wynn's case, it's so hard to tell because his typical attitude is that he's annoyed by everything but at the same time, he does seem to be warming up and starting to trust me.

What do you all think?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I think he likes it. If he didn't, he could get up and move, or try to bite you, or indicate in other ways that he's unhappy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Yes, your description of him relaxed, stretched out, sometimes closing his eyes does seem to indicate he likes it.

I trust you are sweet-talking him while you pet him?
;-)

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm

I sweet-talk him when I'm NOT petting him. In fact, my husband accuses me sometimes of sweet-talking Wynn more than I sweet-talk him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Perhaps when you are sweet talking him you can slip in some husband-sweet talk too ("...and you're almost as lovable as my cuddly, fabulous husband!").

crowcrash

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:53 am

I honestly think it's not a good or bad sound, it's more of a reflex. Both my bitey-boy and my friendly chubbo that lets you pick him up will rumble if you scritch their bums. It reminds me of when you scritch a dog or cat just above the tail and they start spazzing out.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I call that happy.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Reggie will do the same thing. I take it as others do - that it's a good thing and if he didn't want to be pet, he wouldn't stretch out or stay by your hand.