Food Question and Chasing

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am

So I was wondering does anyone recommend switching from leaf lettuce to radicchio? I've known a few people wo have done it and I was wondering what are the pros and cons to doing this?

Also I just witnessed a small fight between my two female pigs who have been bonded since they were babies.They are over a year old and even in heat I never see them like this. Humping and rumbling is normal but my alpha pig chased my other into the corner and kept her there. When she tried to get away the alpha pig would run up and raise her head until the other backed down. I wouldn't be too concerned except that my other pig who usually just tries to ignore her dominance was squeaking like she was about to kill her. It was a little crazy how aggressively she was being chased and definetly not the usual. The alpha was popcorning and the other was chattering her teeth in the corner scared. I just clapped my hands as soon as I saw how aggressive it seemed to distract them. Both walked into their hides still rumbling. they have a 2x3 cage with a second floor. They get 3 hours of floor time and have 5 different areas to hide (not uncliding their small tunnel) in their cage and plenty of room to run. I don't know what caused them to act so oddly. Does anoyone know what could be going on here?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm

One's probably in heat. If the behavior goes away in a day or so, that's what it is.

Radicchio is ridiculously expensive compared to other lettuces. Why would you want to do that? That said, mine have always liked radicchio, and I give them small chunks occasionally, but always in conjunction with red or green leaf lettuce.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:00 pm

That's possible, I just don't get why she's so much moodier this time. I'll just keep an eye on her then.
omeone tried to tell me it's healthier and where I live it's fairly close in price Only 20 cents more and Radicchio always seems to look bigger than what you get with leaf lettuce. I could always give them a litte as treats but I didn't think there was anything better than leaf lettuce which is why it confused me so much

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Are you sure radicchio is cheaper? It's way more expensive here, and it's a very small head compared to lettuce. You sure you're not looking at red cabbage?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Not cheaper just a few cents more than leaf lettuce, but lettuce out here is rediculously expensive. Radicchio here is the same small one was everywhere, but leaf lettuce here is usually half rotted or very small to you can either buy small ones or a bad one and hope you can pull off nasty pieces. Lettuce has been a big problem here. I get mustard greens and kale for my buns as well and those are usually poor quality as well. Radicchio, cabbage, etc. generally don't look too bad, but then again I don't regularly buy them so maybe I just don't notice