Which fleece liner to get? Kitchen or no kitchen?

DeLorean12

Post   » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 pm

I’m looking to switch from Fleece Flippers + a kitchen with carefresh bedding to a regular fleece liner, no kitchen. The carefresh makes me sneeze horribly and kind of stinks, and poops/pee find their way between the fleece flippers. They also start stinking a couple of days after they’ve been washed & the uhaul pads are breaking down. My pig is scared of the orange side of the fleece flipper for some reason, and she loves to drag the carefresh all over the cage and into her hideys (and sometimes she eats it). It’s a pain because the carefresh sticks to the fleece. I’ve been wondering if ditching the kitchen and fleece flippers is a good choice. Looking at the liner options, I’m interested in Guineadad’s and Piggy Beadspreads. Which one should I get, and should I ditch the kitchen?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 am

I have a kitchen area on fleece over 100% cotton beach towels, which works great as well. I would prefer cage liners again, but would go for the same stuff I use, just stitched together, in 3 parts, because my cage is huge. I would go for 1 smaller part under the kitchen area, which is not too big and can be shaken out well, and 2 more to cover the rest of the cage, which is 12 feet total, by 3,3 feet wide.

I had some sort of flippable cage liners, but not the ones you talk about, in the past and hated how leftovers got stuck on the bottom of the cage, even after vacuuming them well before flipping them over.

DeLorean12

Post   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:44 pm

That might work, thanks. It’s better than your flippable ones, yes?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:22 pm

I have no "kitchen". They eat in the middle of the cage and I take out any uneaten veg/sweep pellets every day. I just have the uhaul blanket under fleece (either a large piece or two smaller throws). I do get some poop underneath sometimes, but it just gets swept out when I change the bedding. I don't flip. I sweep it, shake it out, and then wash with vinegar and put down a fresh set. I have two, plus an extra uhaul blanket (they come in three packs). If she's afraid of the orange side, maybe put an old fleece throw over it? Tuck it under the sides? Cage liners are probably easier than my wrangling the pieces every switch, but so far this is working out OK.