Free Roaming Guinea Pigs?

Cas

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 am

I'm fostering the guinea pig from my daughter's school over the summer. The cage they sent him in is much smaller than the one he has at the school so I've been letting him run around the house most of the day, under supervision. He LOVES running around trying to make friends with my cats. We were thinking about getting a couple of guinea pigs of our own in the near future, so of course I'm researching and planning everything out now.

Are free roaming guinea pigs a thing or do they have to stay in their cages? I was thinking it would be nice to build a large cage on the floor, set up with everything they need, but have a ramp or something for them to come out whenever they want. Then when we won't be home, or at night, I can take up the ramp so they can't get out. Is that a possibility or is it best for them to stay in their cage most of the time?

(In case anyone is wondering, my cats aren't aggressive toward him, our current hamster, or the school bunny we're also fostering for a couple of weeks. They're the biggest babies I've ever seen!)

JX4

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

The only thing I would worry about with free roaming is that guinea pigs pee and poop so much! If you have an area where that isn't an issue, I see no problem with allowing them to leave their cage to free roam as long as it is a safe environment. My cat wants absolutely nothing to do with our guinea pigs, but our dogs would eat them in a nanosecond if we allowed them out in the same room. Also, people can step on them if they don't see them. I've heard of people setting up a room so that it's a safe environment and also the pee and poop isn't a problem, but I don't think I'd do that for a larger area unless they are being supervised.

However, I'll defer to people with more personal experience with this than me. We don't free roam because we don't have an environment that is safe for that.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm

They also may get into places that are not good for them like under a refrigerator or behind a stove. Also, they may chew electric cords, the bottom of wooden chair legs or your baseboards.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 am

I have a ramp in and out of the cage. One pig really loved it. The others don't use it as much. It's closed much of the time now (but you've made me think I need to open it today). I've gridded off safe areas when I can't keep an eye on them (in the kitchen, there's no cords, they're too big to get under the fridge/stove). Otherwise, if I can watch them, they can go in the living room. My current two have been good about going home to pee (or pee on the pad at the base of the ramp). Poo happens.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:15 am

Even if your cats are not aggressive I would still be wary. Sometimes if a guinea pig makes a certain movement or noise it'll trigger hunting instincts. I would let them free roam if you can see and if you cannot watch them then put them in a cat safe room to free roam in there until you can

RKelly

Post   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Our pig has been free range about a year and a half. His cage is in our bedroom, pad with plate in kitchen for veggies, and a cardboard box with pad and blanket in the living room. I'd say he uses one of his pad areas for bathroom 98% of the time. He comes and goes as he pleases. Only time we've had an issue is when he learned how to play hide and seek under our bed. Pretty sure I had a heart attack that day. RKelly is about 5.5yo now so his age may be why he doesn't go exploring much or he has his priorities in order. Food and naps lol.