7 1/2 yr female gp - need help plz!

mickey1007
Support in '11 & '12

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:06 pm

We have a 7 1/2 year old female who just lost her sister and best friend to cancer. She has arthritis and sludge issues so is on a restricted diet. She has never been alone until now.

Not sure what to do - should we look for a friend? I don't want to put her thru any more stress than we have to but she keeps looking for her sister even though she was there when she passed.

Any comments on personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:57 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.

This page might help you:
www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

A companion would likely make her feel better. See if there are any local rescues. Perhaps you could foster a guinea pig as a companion if you do not want to adopt at the moment.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:06 pm

I agree with Lynx.

If you're ready to end GP ownership after this pig passes, I'd look for one to foster until that happens. If you plan to keep on with GP's, then you could get one of any age.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm

I've seen grieving pigs perk right up with a new piggy in the cage. If you want to make the commitment, a very young pig would be non-threatening. But that pig will then need another friend at some point.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 am

I would suggest getting two baby piggies, maybe her maternal instincts will kick in? I would also ask rescue if you could take your piggy to the rescue and maybe let her choose a companion? So sorry for your lost! RIP dear one! Run free now in perfect health. Munch on the green grass and watch over your sister and piggy slave! Sending big hugs!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am

I lost 4 pigs one after the other, leaving me with Fuzzbutt. She's moped around and gets up to eat and that's about it. I adopted 2 babies, hoping they would help her recover interest in life. No such luck. She had a serious bond with a pig named Scatter, but after he died, she's shown no interest in anything anything but food, and even that is no longer enough. She's lost weight consistently ever since. See her medical thread (Fuzzbutt's Medical) if you're really interested.

So, keep in mind adopting another pig of any age may make no difference at all. Then again, adopting (or fostering) another could make a huge difference.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I opted to just stop having pigs for a while, but if you think she would want a companion, perhaps ask a rescue if they have any older pigs who like/need company?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking a "rent with option to buy" might be a good idea. And an older pig is another good choice for her.