Advice for a new cavy owner?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Yay! Good to hear that! My plan is to not pull up all the purslane that grows next summer and instead "harvest" it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:23 pm

I have the only yard I've lived in in 55 years that doesn't have purslane in it.

Luv4animals139

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Yummy veggies.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:45 am

Lacey shoves things around like she’s got an attitude. Just walks over and head butts or shoulder shoves anything in her way. It might be because I try to change things up so every time she’s in her exercise cage it’s a different arrangement. Some days she manages to cram her wiffle ball (the size of a baseball) and her jingle ball cat toy, and a cushy potholder all together with her in her pigloo. She can hardly move in there, but she’s got all her stuff safely protected from who knows what.

Luv4animals139

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:31 am

XD That's great!

Luv4animals139

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Does anyone know if my babies can have jewel lettuce? I'm growing it in my garden and I haven't heard about it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:03 pm

I can't even google up jewel lettuce. Does it have another name?

Luv4animals139

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Ummm. I'm not sure.... I sort of threw the seeds in the garden and got rid of the seed packet, but it was a burpee seed packet.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:25 pm

As far as I can tell, it's a variety of romaine. But I can't find any specific nutritional data about it. If you feed it, pay particular attention to whether your pigs produce excess urinary calcium while eating it. If they do, I wouldn't feed it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Purslane. I believe it's a relative of portulaca. I have a nice crop of it in my driveway cracks & keep waiting to see it bloom. It never has.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Is it Emerald Jewel? The Burpee seed packet says, “Emerald Jewel Lettuce is fast growing and very productive green lettuce. Provides an abundance of tasty loose-leaf heads. Ready for harvesting in only 45 days. Can be sown in average soil outdoors and seedlings will emerge within 7-10 days.” Sounds like a form of green leaf lettuce. The Burpee site doesn’t list it but Home Depot does.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Burpee-Lett ... /303097142

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Romaine is a variety of green leaf lettuce. They're not all created equal as far as calcium excretion is concerned.