Milk paints for piggies

sofi

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:56 am

Hi everyone!

I’m currently building a wooden cage and I’ve been at a loss for what to use as paint. I’m predominately painting the outside where it can’t be chewed but I want to know my options in case painting the inside walls was possible. I’ve seen many links for paints available outside the US, but I haven’t been able to find anything here. I saw a very old post about using milk paint since it’s non toxic and natural, has anyone ever used it before?

Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:28 am

What kind of wood are you using? Is it splintery pine? Milk paint sounds like it would work - or maybe a vegetable dye along with a natural oil?

sofi

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:00 am

Lynx wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:28 am What kind of wood are you using? Is it splintery pine? Milk paint sounds like it would work - or maybe a vegetable dye along with a natural oil?
I am using pine. I’m not super worried about heavy chewing because I always make sure to have a bunch of toys and chews available and that’s not a common behavior I’ve seen from him. But there is a chance he could nibble as he’s getting used to the new cage and I wanted to make sure if I end up using non toxic milk paint, it won’t harm him.