Introduction and a couple of questions

autumn

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi everyone! I just brought home 2 little piggies today who were in need of a new home. I haven't re-named them yet. One is a broken agouti and the other is a cream/chocolate/white. Both are adorable.

I was told they were 2 males but believe they are actually a male/female pair. As soon as I got them home I separated them. I contacted the previous owner and was told they've been living together since February but no babies. Is this really possible? I've checked the one I believe to be female several times and she definitely looks like a girl. The male just wouldn't stop mounting her and I was told he's like that all the time. These two are approximately 10-12 months old (originally pet shop pigs) and I know at that age a first time pregnancy would be high risk.

It's obvious they haven't been handled much. The female is a little more accepting of scritches behind her ears but not being held. The male runs in a wild frenzy if I even try picking him up. What's the best way to go about taming him? They were both crammed into a typical pet store cage and I moved them into a 2 x 3 C&C cage (each of their own). Did I give him too much space too quickly or does he just need time to settle in?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 am

You'll need a lot of patience and time and healthy food bribes.

Do you want to post some crisp clear images of your guinea pigs' private parts? By the age you are looking at, if they were males, there would be prominent scrotums.
www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

A male and female together for that long would likely produce offspring. The mounting may be normal dominance behavior.

autumn

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Thanks, but getting pics isn't likely just yet. She's tolerant of me holding her (more than him) but I can't hold her and a camera. The male definitely has an obvious scrotum, female does not and no penis protrudes when pressing above the area.

I offered some veggies tonight and it's obvious they've never had them before. They did taste a good variety (romaine and thin slices of carrot, apple, bell pepper and zucchini).

She's letting me pet and hold her pretty well. I'm going much slower with him and starting by not trying to even touch him when I'm in the cage replacing food/hay and blankets. I want him to trust me that far first. I spent a good amount of time sitting close to his cage talking to him and he did relax enough to move around and eat with me there so progress, albeit baby steps :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:22 pm

If you are sure they are intact male and female, I would separate them immediately and plan on a neuter or spay to ensure you do not have any offspring, which is very risky for the sow.
www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

autumn

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks, I understand. That's why I separated them as soon as I brought them home.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 am

Oh, good. I missed that! (that you had already separated them)