water bottle brand

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm

I know I've asked this question before, but it's been years and doesn't seem to come up when I search:

Is there a specific brand of water bottle that is best? I see a couple of dripless brands and then the Lixit brand. I've been using the Lixit Brand, but I'm not sure the dripless brand(s) might not be better... ?? I have a real problem with the lixit brand NOT leaking.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Let's see what current users recommend! It's been years since I've had guinea pigs so I don't know. I think my bottles were inexpensive ones from a local discount store (the larger ones seem to drip less - you make sure they are completely filled up).

Guineaspot

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:53 pm

For the time I've owned my guinea pig, I've realised the best for.me is a kaytee brand. I have an old bottle I use from my hamaters and it works fine as long as it's cleaned.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:52 pm

I've never had much problem with water bottles dripping, and I've always used the cheapest ones I could find.

But I love the ones I have now. They're very similar to this, but not identical: https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/toys ... 07863.html

I can't find the exact ones I've got anywhere online. I either got them from Petco or from Amazon, but can't remember which.

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:27 pm

I have a Kaytee that I have to prime every time bevause the bottom ball gets stuck at times in the bottom of the straw if you forget to prime it, a lixit that Ryzen just doesn't like, a big glass one from the farm store that I can't remember the name of (works best after a couple drops after screwing it on), and a couple plastic ones. Those I got from the Dollar Tree of all places (they were branded but I haven't seen them since). They have yet to leak and they don't get stuck.

I'm to the point that I don't think it is the brand to be concerned with, but the bottle and pig itself. We went through quite a few with Gina until she found one she liked. We had bottles that would claim leakless and leak like crazy and another from the same brand that wouldn't.

Svh

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:13 pm

I just use the cheap plastic lixit ones. I've honestly never had an issue with one leaking and they are easy to clean.

Previously I used the cheap plastic petsmart brand (great choice, I think?) But they changed the nozzle on them and none of my pigs will drink from them.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:16 pm

I also have always used the Lixit ones and never had a problem with them.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm

I had some leaky nonsense with the bottles the boys came with, so I got some of these (I got smaller ones because I have several in different parts of the cage): https://www.chewy.com/lixit-wide-mouth- ... /dp/148598

They seem to be doing fine and no more wet pen.

SSLee

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:27 pm

I use the Choco Nose bottles and they do not drip. The bottles are small but since I have several in the cage, it isn't an issue. If you do want a larger bottle, you can easily replace it with a soda bottle. Chewy has the best price but you have to purchase $49 of items before the shipping is free.

https://www.chewy.com/choco-nose-no-dri ... /dp/143089

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm

We have a Critter Canteen, A Choconose and another Kaytee one that has a plastic duck in it as a level indicator. I have not had any issues with leaking with any of them.

However or some reason, that we have never gotten to the bottom of, I rarely see our girls use the water bottles.

They are definitely peeing, and the vet has said they are probably getting enough water from the veggies although the daughter says she has seen two of the girls use them, just not very often. When we first got Chunkita she was drinking from them a lot but not so much these days.
They are checked and refilled with fresh water regularly and we dont put Vitamin C in them either. Has been baffling me for months. Just in case i have also put a small bowl of water in as well but haven't seen them use that either.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:36 am

I've always used the Lixit brand (with the small green turtle to indicate water level) and this is the brand that tends to leak if I'm not careful about checking it each time.

IssaG

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm

I use a plastic Lixit bottle, with the little turtle, and a glass bottle, the brand name I've forgotten though it has a little corn cob, and have no leaking problems with either. My guinea's prefer the glass bottle for reasons I'm not sure. It has a double ball in the spout (not sure if I'm using the right terminology here) and the plastic one has a single, but whether that makes a difference I don't know.