Introducing a pair to a single pig

Promise_Hope

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:27 am

I currently have a single pig (Hope, 2yrs) since Promise passed. When I had brought home Hope, the two girls didn't do too well. Hope was the dominant and Promise was being way too scared I couldn't watch it. When I put their cages next to each other, they were comfortable talking and popcorning.
Now that Hope is alone, I want to bring another girl to be with her. I was wondering if bringing a bonded pair would be okay. I see posts about bringing a third home, but I was wondering if bringing a pair would look any different. Currently in my area there is a 10mo and 3mo bonded pair. Curious how it would work out since Hope will be the oldest one. Or would it be less risky to find a single piggie?
I have plenty of room for a big cage, so please advise me fellow cavy lovers.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:43 am

I can say that dynamics will change when you have three pigs together. The "bonded pair" isn't always all that bonded.

Success will depend on the personalities of the guinea pigs and having a really big, well set up cage.

This link is often given out to help them get along together:
https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:03 am

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ciaran

Post   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:39 pm

I added a pair of brothers to another pair of bonded males. The brothers were initially very close, probably because they were scared had been very underfed after being abandoned. One of the brothers joined the pack easily and the other turned into quite the bully. Keep the separate at first but close enough to interact. Time will tell...

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Four boars will need a very large cage to become a successful herd. I'm not saying that's the only obstacle you will run into but that is the first.

And make sure they are neutered. Don't even think about adding four boars to Hope's cage. You can't mix multiple boars with one female, spayed or not.

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 pm

I just did the bonded add to a single myself. It did work, though I will suspect that part of it was due to following all the advice I saw here and their personalities. Also, it took a while longer than I imagined for everyone to settle into their parts of the heirarchy. So, patience is required. And something you can use to occasionally settle your nerves if you need it.

Good luck. If you do it, you've got this.

Promise_Hope

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Thank you everyone for the advices! Hope is only my second one so I am pretty new to this cavy world. I bought coroplast to make the cage - thinking about 2x6.
I got two new girls from the shelter, don't know the exact age but not fully grown yet. Now they are in quarantine at my friend's place because I don't have another room to put them. When ready for introductions, I will bring them home and update how it goes.. fingers crossed..

Promise_Hope

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Hope

The new girls

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 pm

They are all very sweet.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes, they are! I'm jealous, but can't add anymore. Husband helps when and where I can't, but he doesn't like it. He's not much of an animal person - except for the cats.

Promise_Hope

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Introductions went successfully!! It took 3 hours for them to calm down! I am so glad that I brought two new girls home because I think Hope did much better in the trio. I knew Hope would have the dominance and she did haha. Oreo was challenging Hope but backed down pretty soon. Hope chased after Oreo for hours while poor Cheetos just kept trying to come to me.

This is the picture at the end of introductions.

And now they are situated in their new 2x5 cage, still some chasing behaviors but generally everything is calm. I am so glad that I took time to do this right! Thank you everyone for the help :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 pm

I hope all continues to go well!