Is it possible to house my bonded males with females?

TacosOtherHalf

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:30 pm

I have two bonded neutered males. I recently also got three females. I was wondering if I could put the boys in with the girls as long as their cage was essentially the size of a small bedroom. I know that Little Adventures on YouTube has two happy males with three females but I haven't seen anyone else with a mixed gender group like her. I also asked the closest guinea pig rescue to me and the woman there said that as long as the cage was large enough for the males to have their own territory it should be fine. Is this true?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Ninety nine and 99/100 of the time, multiple males housed with females will fight ferociously, even if they've been neutered. It depends very greatly on the personality of the males, and calm, mellow males willing to share a herd with another male are rare.

If it were me, I wouldn't try it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm guessing it would greatly depend on the personalities of all involved. The biggest problem could be that guinea pigs that once got along, don't any more and you can't go back to how it was if they are separated into the old units.

It does sound tempting though, if you have a giant room! I only had females but they had 400 square feet.
www.guinealynx.info/my-pigs.html

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:29 pm

No. Just no.