Best Guinea Pig care advice?

cnguyen333

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm

A lot of people on here has had a lot of experience with guinea pig care.

I was wondering if you had only one advice to give, what would you consider to be the most important factor in guine pig care? Could you expand on that as well.

Thank you

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Oh, my advice would be to read the care guide here! It pretty much covers everything. Diet, housing, health - they are all so important.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 pm

What Lynx Said.

I wish I had discovered this site sooner but then I really didn't have any warning that the missus was going to turn up with our 3 girls.

In addition to all the great advice on this site the one piece of advice I would give is spend as much time as you can with your piggies. Talk to them, hang out with them, get to know them and let them get used to you.

The better you know them the more likely you are to be able to spot changes in behaviour that might indicate a problem.

The better they know you the more likely they are to let you pet them.

Another tip would be to get Pet Insurance or make a point of putting a bit of money away each month in to an account for vet expenses. Even though your piggies may be fit and well now there may come a time when they are not and you dont want to be financially limited in the care you can provide for them.

Finally never stop learning, I find out something new about piggy are pretty much everyday reading through posts on this site.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm

As do I.

The Care Guide is essentially a must-read first, though.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:05 pm

"Piggy Care" not "Piggy are" ;)

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:33 am

I agree with the above comments but if I had to pick one thing I would say provide your guinea pigs with more than enough living space. A large, roomy cage will greatly increase your guinea pig(s) happiness and yours too, because you won't have to clean as often and you will have the opportunity to see your pig(s) do fun "zoomies" around the cage and gleeful "popcorns." Cage ideas and recommended sizes can be found at www.guineapigcages.com. Most people try to provide at least the minimum size requirement, but a true cavy slave goes for much bigger. Why do "just enough" space when more is better?

cnguyen333

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice! I appreciate it very much :) In the near future, I'd like to start a blog about guinea pig care to help spread awareness of proper care. Thank you again!